What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

JS Bach, The Art Of The Fugue. Glenn Gould, organ. Sony Classical Glenn Gould Anniversary Edition CD (remastered by Glenn Gould).

This is volume I of Gould’s recording of the Art of the Fugue on the organ of All Saints Anglican Chapel in Toronto (there was never a Part II, so the cycle remains incomplete). According to the booklet, Gould played half of the Contrapunctus manualiter, i.e., without using the pedals, and barely used them for the others, which was unanimously condemned by the critiques at the time. I for one know nothing about organ playing, but I feel that something grand was happening in that church that day. You be the judge.

Bach Gould The Art of the Fugue

BTW This is the only commercial recording of Gould on the organ, and his only recording of that work. The CD also includes recordings from CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) of radio and TV performances of the Art of the Fugue by Gould on the piano.

Claude

11 Likes

Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins

Neck and Neck

Edward

14 Likes

Now playing…

Chris Rae - The Road to Hell

Chris Rea (Vocals, Keyboards, Guitars), Kevin Leach (Keyboards), Max Middleton (Acoustic Piano, Fender Rhodes, String Arrangements), Robert Ahwai (Guitars), Eoghan O’Neill (Bass), Martin Ditcham (Drums, Percussion), Karen Boddington (Vocals), Carol Kenyon (Vocals) and Linda Taylor (Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… kicking off this morning with Chris and he has the toes tapping and body swaying on this gray overcast and gloomy morning and always puts a smile on my face. Chris and the band are sounding mighty sweet!

17 Likes

This is Hyperion’s record of the month, with 20% off for newsletter subscribers. Bargain! Stephen Hough is such a lyrical player and this is a fine recital album. I’m most grateful to @trickydickie who helped me out with the discount code as I’d rather foolishly binned the newsletter before reading it properly.

6 Likes

Arlo Parks - Collapsed in Sunbeams . This is a new release from a very talented young lady from West London. She’s great as is the album on first listen .

3 Likes

Purge my Sole with some Otis Redding singing soul as it should be sung.

20 Likes

I always play tracks from the following three records in a group. They where the theme tune to our second holiday together that we spent on Koh Phangan and Ko Tao over Christmas and New Year 2001/2002 , first up

Everything But The Girl - Walking Wounded

I love Tracey Thorne’s vocal style she’s extremely underrated IMO yes she is quite one dimensional but she sings that one dimension incredibly beautifully.

14 Likes

One of my discoveries of 2020 Fantastic Negrito but for a change listening to the more bluesy (is that a word?).

Fantastic Negrito - Last Days of Oakland

8 Likes

Next up is,

Moorcheeba - Big Calm

Again another beautifully atmospheric record.

16 Likes

And lastly,

Massive Attack - Protection

The huge follow up to Blue Lines only a select few bands can manage to equal or even better an incredible debut but Massive Attack did, again featuring Tracey Thorne doing her thing and the brilliant live ‘Sound System’ version of Light My Fire sang by Horace Andy.

15 Likes

Crosby, Stills & Nash | 1969
Because it’s a wonderful (well recorded) album that is still such a very good record to get out and enjoy.

17 Likes

One of my favourite LPs of all time, no less. Liked the follow up, but not quite as much, and enjoyed his Empire Of The Sun stuff.

For a guy with a nasally weak voice he’s an amazing artist. Like Bob Dylan, it adds more than it takes away.

1 Like

I am still a big fan of the cd format and it’s very good with plenty of detail but tbh it could never be as good as vinyl. Imo

1 Like

More from Aki:

1 Like

51RBQBN3AKL.AC_UY360_QL65

Fine stuff

5 Likes

Now playing…

Chris Rea - King of the Beach

Chris Rea (Bass, Drum Programming, Guitar, Keyboards, Hammond Organ),
Martin Ditcham (Drums, Percussion), Julie Isaac (Vocals), Debbie Longworth (Vocals), Max Middleton (Fender Rhodes, Piano), and Pete Wingfield (Hammond Organ).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this morning with another album from Chris Rea and he and the band and are sounding sublime! …dreams of laying on a beach somewhere and then a nice cool dip in the ocean…

11 Likes

Shore by Fleet Foxes. One of best records from last year and still gets played an awful lot

7 Likes

Duke Pearson - The Phantom
John Foxx - Metamatic
John Foxx - The Garden
Ian Hunter - The Artful Dodger

All vinyl.

1 Like

1 Like

The (Godfrey) boys come from the same village as me and Paul lives in the next road - saw him in Waitrose last year - ticked off in my I-spy book of ‘rock stars’.

1 Like