What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

A sleepwalking classic.

Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited. Mobile Fidelity, mono, 45rpm.

19 Likes

Pachelbel: Canon pour trois voix sur une basse obstinée et huit pages célèbres (Canon for 3 Violins and Basso Continuo and 8 Famous Pages). Orchestre de chambre Pro Arte de Munich, Kurt Redel. Erato LP.

According to Wikipedia, Pachelbel’s Canon in D was poular during the composer’s lifetime, then it went out of style and was completely forgotten for centuries, until a rearranged version was released by Jean-François Paillard and his chamber orchestra 1968. It remained at the forefront of the accessible classical music repertoire ever since, and it has been recorded by many ensembles, including this one.

Incidentally, it’s the first classical music record I ever bought (I was 16 or so.) It had the extra benefit of introducing me to several composers I had never heard of, such as Telemann, Gluck, and Michael Haydn (Joseph’s brother.) I still return to that LP from time to time. “Easy” but simply beautiful classical music.

Pachelbel Redel

Claude

14 Likes

7 Likes

Yellowjackets - Shades / 1986 MCA / US CD / MCAD 5752

The title track of this CD Shades (which strangely is not on the LP version) was written and supplied by Donald Fagen who was at the studio during the recording.

3 Likes

Playing now and really enjoying it.

Charlie Haden, Jan Garbarek, Egberto Gismonti - Folk Songs

(ripped CD)

9 Likes

Great album from 1975,always enjoy spinning this one,also due for a 45th anniversary release in April,on a double vinyl with bonus tracks,already ordered!

9 Likes

4 Likes

Hi-Fi News - The Classics / 2003 naim / UK CD/ CD072M

Excellent compilation of early naim label classical tracks.

3 Likes

Keeping the theme and possibly my favourite Rebel album,hope they plan to celebrate this one next year.

3 Likes

Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus

really enjoying the performance from a band I only discovered 2-3 years back ; thanks to this forum :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Just watched this afternoon, a must see imo even if not a Jazz fan.vertical-poster-post

As I posted on the Jazz thread

Well I just got through watching Time Remembered. Now I get why Neil described it as heartbreaking, I had no idea!
This is probably the most profound and moving music doc in any genre that I’ve seen.
I first came to the music of Bill Evan’s when I picked up some OJC LP’s in a bargain bin would you believe, the early albums New Jazz Conceptions, Portrait, Sunday ATVV, Waltz For Debbie etc. I was immediately smitten by those and as someone in the film commented his beautiful ability to play slow with single notes sustained seemingly timelessly. Amazing!
The emotion, tension and release listening to those fail my limited vocabulary, but I still had no idea, I knew of the tragedy of the death of Scott LeFaro but until now had no idea of his battle with drug addiction, the troubled life and tragedy. With such great music made in the face of such struggle heartbreak and tragedy, from now on listening to those records will be on whole different level.

Someone recently commented on this forum that they dont listen to Jazz from the 50s & 60s as it “has no soul”. Well I say to that person watch this documentary, listen to the music of Bill Evan’s, and dare tell me this music has no soul.

Truth and Beauty (with soul)
RIP Scott LeFaro, Harry & Bill Evans

:heart:

9 Likes

Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion

1 Like

On vinyl. This is even more out there than [preceding album] Lorca. And to think he was once pigeonholed as a folk singer!

16 Likes

Further Education evening, listening to…, according to Qobuz this is a return to some of her earlier works - If that’s right Ill be digging into the back catalogue some more.

Melody Gardot - Sunset In The Blue

7 Likes

Blues (radio) day under lockdown.
Listening all day - great content and SQ.
aardvark-blues-fm-radio !
Aardvark Blues fm
blues-connection-radio !
Blues Connection
blues-cove-radio !
Blues Cove
blues-radio-athens-greece !
Blues Radio Athens
classic-blues-radio !
Classic Blues Radio

!
Houston Blues Radio
!
Radio BluesFlac

XRDS.fm Blues - Clarksdale

4 Likes

A Pure Pleasure all-analogue reissue of a 1979 classic on Strata-East. Absolutely spectacular sound, for those of you interested.

3 Likes

Pat Metheny - Song X

I just posted this on the jazz thread. It’s a great path into avant garde jazz. What a collection of talent!

15 Likes

Now playing…

Sheila Chandra - Moonsung: A Real World Retrospective

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… a mention from @TOBYJUG above of “Such a beautiful album” had me place in the queue and opening the day with the beautiful vocals of Sheila on the opening track and she is sounding sublime! Looking forward to the rest of the album…

Sheila Chandra (Vocals, Drones), Steve Coe (Vocals, Drones) and Paul James (Bagpipes).

6 Likes