What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

I’ve not played this for ages, in fact very little and I’d forgotten I had it. Now exhumed, it’s very good.

6 Likes

Had to dust off the old 4000DS as the Revox won’t play 3 3/4 tapes.:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Richard Thompson - Live from London - 16/44 Bandcamp WAV download
RT did a set of 3 online gigs streamed from London at the back end of 2020, Thompson on vocals and acoustic guitar with occasional backing vocals from his partner Zara Phillips (not the royal, a very fine singer songwriter in her own right). This is a selection of tracks from those “gigs” he released today, largely songs from his ‘60s/‘70s Fairport days and his ‘70s Richard and Linda era, with a few later numbers. Great songs, sung by a singer who can really bring out the emotion, who also happens to be one of the world’s greatest guitarists, this is wonderful. I played ‘Winding Road 3 times, the first was just enjoying its beauty, then a listen to concentrate on and be amazed by the stunning guitar work, then another listen to enjoy the amazing song.

5 Likes

The Beautiful South - Blue Is The Colour.

11 Likes

My favourite Paul Desmond album on CTI from 1970.

Seems to me Paul Desmond never really got the credit he deserved. Take Five is a classic example which is often credited to Dave Brubeck but was written by Paul Desmond.

12 Likes

A fantastic album, Heaton is such a fine songwriter.

2 Likes

No, someone sent me her CD in the post a couple of weeks ago and I was bowled over…

I put this on another thread earlier but here it is again for those of you who may have missed it, great late night headphone music.

3 Likes

Evening Eoin, he certainly is, great observations, with plenty of humour just below the surface. I know one thing, he certainly likes to sing about drinking, a fairly frequent theme, I am assuming the band knew how to enjoy themselves on the road.

2 Likes

1st run

2 Likes

Indeed, they had a serious blast, although Paul later had major problems with alcohol. He’s now nearly teetotal, he feels he needs to drink when he writes songs, so he and his wife go to Europe on holiday for a few weeks when he’s writing, he drinks, then they come back and he stays dry for months/years until the next songwriting trip.

2 Likes

It’s Silver Eye by the Frapp, on clear vinyl, deers x

11 Likes

Well that’s certainly different :smile:, thanks for the background re the booze .I also remember how he was heavily into European football and Italian especially if I’m not mistaken. An interesting guy, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

11 Tracks Of Whack - Walter Becker

9 Likes

Great guy, he has done so many cool things. He tried to donate his future royalties from the Beautiful South songs to the Treasury as he already had enough money, the Government turned him down. He and Jacqui Abbott are doing free gigs for NHS workers ( being re-scheduled for obvious reasons) to say thank you. When Q magazine shut down he made a big donation to the staff to help them through the hard times (he didn’t announce it, the editor did). Great singer, great songwriter, great person.

5 Likes

Mike Oldfield - Elements: The Best Of.

8 Likes

Now playing…

Nik Bärtsch’s Ronin - Lyra

Nik Bärtsch (Piano), Sha (Bass Clarinet, Alto Saxophone), Björn Meyer (Bass), Kaspar Rast (Drums) and Andi Pupato (Percussion).

Streaming on Qobuz (88.2/24)… continuing on this afternoon with Nik’s third album released in 2010 and he and the ‘Ronin’ quintet are sounding superb! Love is music…

10 Likes

It might be Lockdown 3 or so but it’s still Friday night for heavens sake . What a tune!

17 Likes

More Harry James in Hifi. This was my dad’s LP - he loved big band / swing music. According to the label this was originally released in 1956, but this seems to be a 1985 reissue. I quite like it, especially the track Melancholy Rhapsody.

4 Likes

8 Likes