What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

@igahman
Bad Like Jessee James
R-381021-1282539307.jpeg
:heart:

24 Likes

Continuing my exploration of Bill Evan’s early recordings prior to leading his own sessions.
1959 joint billing with Bob Brookmeyer, unusually playing the Joanna, along with Percy Heath & Connie Kay.

Enjoying this one a lot
On Tidal
20210208_163351

AllMusic Review by Michael G. Nastos

When Bill Evans agreed to do a two piano date with Bob Brookmeyer, eyebrows surely must have raised. Pairing a rising superstar of modern jazz with a gentleman known for playing valve trombone and arranging charts might have been deemed by some as a daunting task. Fortunately for the keyboardists, this was a good idea and a marvelous concept, where the two could use the concept of counterpoint and improvisation to an enjoyable means, much like a great chess match. For the listener, you are easily able to hear the difference between ostensible leader Evans in the right channel of the stereo separation, and the accompanist Brookmeyer in the left. The opener “Honeysuckle Rose” gives a basic idea of what to expect, as Evans leads out, Brookmeyer counters his moves, and they trade riffs in an inventive bridge. “The Way You Look Tonight” is similar as Brookmeyer is more playful in his chiming chords and second melody line. The energy level is very good here, as well as on the democratic, funky contemporary intro to the easy swing of “It Could Happen to You” and “I Got Rhythm,” jam-packed with fun plus risk-taking. There’s a different give and take during “The Man I Love,” and they turn the lamp down low on a delicate version of “As Time Goes By” as the pianists trade leads, and bassist Percy Heath adopts a more pronounced role. It is Heath and drummer Connie Kay, on loan from the Modern Jazz Quartet, who precisely and firmly cement rhythmic elements, allowing the pianists to use space, harmony, wit and wisdom to full effect. Some have called this an effort based more on gimmick and showmanship, but if you agree to listen closely, the depth and substance of Evans and Brookmeyer reveals a lot of soul, invention, and musicians simply having a real good time. It would be nice to hear any alternate takes from this marvelous date.

Bill Evans and Bob Brookmeyer: The Ivory Hunters album review @ All About Jazz

6 Likes

Mipso - Dark Holler Pop
bluegrass. band started as a trio (this is the 2nd album), adding Libby (fiddle) on their 3rd album.

A new acquisition, on Confront Recordings. CD. Frequency Disasters are pianist, improviser and composer Steve Beresford; percussionist Valentina Magaletti; and bass player Pierpaolo Martino.

1 Like

@igahman
Couldnt resist!
Bad Boy Skanking

3 Likes

Awesome👍

1 Like

One of my favourite movie clips is the opening to the film “Jazz on a summer’s day “ with Bob as part of The Jimmy Giuffre Trio. Wonderful

1 Like

If you havent seen it do check the Time Remembered documentary, very moving.

1 Like

I expect you will be familiar, if not, this was a sort of sequel to Rainford

L-2409-1320095515.jpeg

4 Likes

Good recording of this music

11 Likes

a great set there @ditton66

1 Like

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds | Ghosteen
One of my favourite albums from 2019 going down nicely as I watch the snow continue to fall as it has done all day.

12 Likes

Another journey in sound from Madlib, here in full “spiritual jazz” exploration mode, venturing further afield than his Shades of Blue LP.

1 Like

Day without the Blues, is a blue day… :wink:

1 Like

Art Pepper. Winter Moon. 1981 CD. Nice!

R-7427252-1454132489-4019.jpeg

7 Likes

Track from the new Gabrielle album which will be released on March 5th.

2 Likes

Interesting comment on the Qobuz album description “These were the songs that didn’t make to the album at the time”.
Some good choones here

The Rolling Stones - Tattoo You

EDITED thanks to DrDavid and Biglloydy for pointing out and correcting my misquote see further down thread 4600/4602/4611

10 Likes

From the recent American Epic project

5 Likes

On LP
CW Stoneking Gon Boogaloo
Recorded using vintage techniques see the sleeve note

“C.W. Stoneking is an artist for whom ‘unexpected’ is probably the default setting. How else to describe such a fine purveyor of American roots music who also happens to be a towering, youthful-faced white Australian man? He surprises first-time listeners, throws curveballs at long-time fans, and everything he does contains at least some background level of bafflement for all involved”.

C.W. Stoneking
http://www.cwstoneking.com/

6 Likes

Followed by another recent recording in a vintage style around a single microphone.
Nicely recorded, mastering and pressing from the always reliable Gearbox Records.
l_411401gb1531cdusapplewoodroadcdpackshotfront_540x
"In September 2014, three songwriters met for the first time in a cafe in East Nashville. By the next morning they had put the finishing touches to their first song, ʻApplewood Roadʼ, which they recorded live to tape at Nashvilleʼs all analogue studio, Welcome to 1979.
The songʼs nostalgic air, along with the clear, sparse arrangement of three vocals accompanied by double bass, drew immediate positive response, and they decided to expand the idea into a full album.
Six months later, they reconvened to write, rehearse and record songs for the self-titled album Applewood Road. The songs were again performed live around a single microphone at Welcome to 1979 and recorded to 2-track tape with minimal accompaniment from some of Nashvilleʼs finest session players, including Telisha Williams, Aaron Lee Tasjan, Josh Day, Fats Kaplin, and Jabe Beyer.

11 Likes