What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Deacon Blue - a very underrated band IMO.

Some great songs bringing back great memories of the Kyles of Bute.

16 Likes

Fantastic in every way.

27 Likes

Kevin Coyne. Marjory Razorblade. This album is not instant but is one of the most rewarding in my collection. It gets better with every play. I cannot recommend it enough . If you’re in doubt just play House on the hill. I repeat this is classic.

10 Likes

With this title I must be part of the target audience…

2 Likes

10 Likes

5 Likes

Hector Berlioz, Les Nuits d’Été / Harold en Italie. Anne Sofie von Otter, soprano; Antoine Tamestit, viola. Les musiciens du Louvre, Marc Minkowski. Naïve CD.

Berlioz composed Harold en Italie at the request of Paganini, who had found a new Stradivarius viola and wanted music to showcase it. Berlioz agreed and composed Harold, which was to become his Symphony No. 2. Unfortunately the work was not what Paganini wanted (he wanted to play all the time, and the score didn’t allow for that), and he would never play it. However, the first time Paganini heard the work its entirety, he was dazzled.

The still all-important viola part is played by Antoine Tamestit, who does a great performance. Minkowski’s Musiciens du Louvre are a perfect match for that work, their agility, rhythm and drama sense serving this theatrical music extremely well.

The CD also comprises a very good version of Les Nuits d’Été with soprano Anne Sofie von Otter, a longtime partner of Minkowski’s. The 72-page color booklet is informative and beautiful, with several reproductions of famous paintings of the Italian landscape.

Berlioz Minkowski Front

Claude

Note: Several copies in near mint condition are currently available at Discogs

6 Likes

Hey that’s Mick and Keef outside that building.

6 Likes

Prince - Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic.

9 Likes

Was just watching a youtube video of Dion talking about-his guitar heroes, some i have never heard of like James Burton…put on me on another journey. So i started with this Dion album.

5 Likes

Ahead of his time for guitar effects, wrote some great songs

11 Likes

Oh yes guitarist for Elvis - this is the album.

7 Likes

I loved War On My Mind from 2020 and Live at the Royal Albert Hall.

Delving deeper into her back catalogue with…

Beth Hart - Better Than Home.

Let’s hope the UK vaccine role out continues apace and the world settles down into some form of normality so I go see her in York later this year.

Edited to add - I think @HappyListener back in January said he preferred this to War, I agree, not a dud track on it. Where’s my wallet.

9 Likes

Travelling Wilburys Vol 1

18 Likes

Santana - Shaman, recreating the formula of the previous massive seller Supernatural. Whilst perfectly fine as modern music, it’s not really Santana, and a million miles from Abraxas.

12 Likes

Classic Mayall with Jon Mark and Johnny Almond but no drummer.

9 Likes

Brightblack Morning Light
Wings - Band On The Run

Both vinyl.

4 Likes

Al Di Meola All Your Life

8 Likes

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed streaming Boulez version of the Rite of Spring this evening. Wonderful dynamic recordings of both works on the disc, with loads of detail and great musicality.

11 Likes

Absolutely delightful music and interpretation.

2 Likes