What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Roon recommended this version to me whilst browsing the new software. It’s rather lovely and will be played again.

3 Likes

:heart:

3 Likes

Eric Clapton - Just One Night, EC live at Budokan, with his new at the time all british band.

17 Likes

The best of The Highwaymen

6 Likes

That’s some line up.

Selection of former Supremes singers including Mary Wilson RIP
20210210_123318

6 Likes

Followed by this retrospective

20210210_125707

AllMusic Review by Richie Unterberger

This two-CD, 43-track box set is the most comprehensive retrospective of Motown’s biggest female star before Diana Ross. Although her first hit, “Bye Bye Baby,” presented Wells as a blues belter, she quickly settled into a sly and sassy groove. Subsequent hits like “You Beat Me to the Punch,” “Two Lovers,” and “My Guy” (all included here) made the most of her shy, seductive voice by teaming her with some great songs and production by Smokey Robinson. Although many of these tunes were relegated to B-sides, album tracks, or even the can (11 were previously unreleased), the material – written by Motown stalwarts like Berry Gordy, Holland-Dozier-Holland, and Mickey Stevenson when Smokey was unavailable – is not far below the hits in quality. This is as much a testimony to Motown’s overflow of prolific talent as Wells’, but doesn’t detract from the consistency of this set, which includes her duets with Marvin Gaye (as well as a previously unreleased duet with Smokey Robinson). Includes a comprehensive essay in the photo-packed booklet, although the mysterious absence of the excellent “Was It Worth It” is a notable loss.

Just realised I’m getting my Wells n Wilson’s mixed up!
Good stuff nonetheless

7 Likes

Dave Valentin - Pure Imagination / 2011 High Note / US CD / HCD 7221

1 Like

An Italian trio playing homage to Gorni Kramer, an accordion player and dance band leader of the 40s to early 60s. Excellent.

1 Like

Buddy Guy & Junior Wells - Drinkin’ TNT ‘N’ Smokin’ Dynamite, playing after a prompt from @Dreadatthecontrols in a reply a few days ago.

8 Likes

Rod Stewart With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - You’re In my Heart

7 Likes

Stevie Wonder | The Definitive Collection | 2002
Playing both discs of this double CD best of album as a bit of an antidote to another couple of hours spent clearing snow.

21 Likes

I have this on Analogue Productions LP, but whatever format floats yer boat it’s a great Chicago Blues album

Hoodoo Man Blues is not only Junior Well’s initial LP Appearance, it is damn near the first LP by a Chicago blues band. Chess Records and a few other labels had reissued 45’s by Muddy Waters, Sonny Boy Williamson, Howling Wolf, Jimmy Reed, Elmore James, etc. but virtually no one had tried to capture the Chicago blues sound, free of limitations of juke-box/airplay promotion. Delmark is proud of the part Hoodoo Man Blues played in the popularization of the real Chicago blues and of Junior Wells. But the credit belongs to Junior, Buddy, Jack and Billy – they made the music. We just sat and dug it.
Junior Wells – Hoodoo Man Blues

13 Likes

The Staves - Good Woman. Great new album from this UK trio.
Quality recording as well. Genre nominally “indie folk” whatever that means.

8 Likes

Got a bit of a persistent frog in me throat. Ah! I thought a singalong to side A track one should sort it!

It did!

13 Likes

SACD on the SFS home label

5 Likes

St. Paul. & The Broken Bones - Half the City Live - 16/44 WAV download
Classic soul sounds, this could easily be from Muscle Shoals, excellent songs, fine horn-driven band, excellent vocals, captured here. I came across this band last year from recommendations here, thanks to the posters who mentioned them, excellent band.

11 Likes

David Sanborn - Songs From The Night Before / 1996 Elektra / US CD / 61950 2

3 Likes

Jeff Healey - Heal my soul

3 Likes

Hard rain - Barb Jungr

Just new in the post. Enjoying it sofar.

6 Likes