What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Followed by the great Big Joe Turner, boss of RnB n Jump Blues and censor busting lyrics like " I’m like a one eyed cat peeping in a seafood store…well I can look at you and tell you ain’t no child no more" I dont think you’d get away with that today!!! From the gloriously misogynistic and lecherous original Shake Rattle & Roll
20210211_173208
:heart:

5 Likes

Once flew to Africa on a 757 with Astraeus Airlines, for which Bruce was a pilot.
The aircraft was still painted in the Iron Maiden tour livery but alas Bruce was not the pilot that day.
iron maiden plane

2 Likes

Along with the original Charlie Haden Private Collection vol 1 & 2 recordings which I recall were originally only given to dealers, mine kindly gifted me both volumes on CD.
They’ve since also been made available by Naim to stream and on double CD and excellent triple vinyl

15 Likes

I watched it over xmas on BBC iirc, might still be on iplayer

Theres a great documentary film, cant recall the title where Bruce piloted IM playing gigs around the world and getting in the Guiness book of records iirc. Drummer, funny character always eating cheese pizza

I have found it on the bbc iPlayer, now watching it. Thank you.

I think it was to Sweden.

I bet you had a good reception on arrival!

Elvis Presley - Rock n Roll (1956) - UK version

The UK version had 5 or 6 different tracks to the US version.
The original photo from which they mocked-up the cover
folder-front-original

Dread - Elvis got away with it in 1956 on BJT’s S, R & R on the UK version.

9 Likes

Because I have enjoyed his story telling and playing for the longest time.

14 Likes

I enjoy it too - but do prefer ‘Sorni Nai’ - same band !
As you correctly say ‘atmospheric’ !

1 Like

King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black

Following the Toyah and Robert thread, I was cruising round the internet and just found an episode of Toyah and Robert’s Sunday Lunch which I hadn’t seen before. It was the one where plays Whole Lotta Love and a snatch of Kashmir (in standard tuning or Fripp’s alternative standard, I wonder - certainly not the original DADGAD). To celebrate the discovery I thought I’d play one of the Crim’s best albums.

9 Likes

Continuing on a vintage Rhythm n Blues tip, with these two excellent CD comps from Cab Calloway & Louis Jordan.
The Cab Calloway (Rev-Ola CD) I see is also on a Tidal Master (the 26 track edition same as this CD, confusingly Tidal has a non master edition that looks the same but reduced to 16 tracks)
51 tracks of RnB goodness with a wicked sense of humour on the 2CD Louis Jordan (Avid CD)

Stick these on turn it up “let the good times roll” but “dont burn the candle at both ends!”

4 Likes

My favourite rock guitarist. Check this out:

2 Likes

3 Likes

The Elvis LP that inspired The Clash artwork on London Calling
R-12068791-1545562217-7977.jpeg

17 Likes

The Roy Buchanan album is a classic - it starts off as it means to go on !?

Another debut album …
The Everly Brothers - The Everly Brothers (They’re Off And Rolling…) (1957)

7 Likes

He He, aye those were the days.
Do you remember Stars Turn on 45 Pints?

Not very good quality but you get the picture. Will be hard for any of our friends outside the UK to understand this kind of humour; sad to say I have both released albums and they buckle me up when I play them!!

1 Like

Here it is Flight 666, really worth seeing if you havent.
I may be mistaken about this getting them in the Guiness book of records, couldnt find any reference.

Wikipedia;

Iron Maiden: Flight 666 documents the opening leg of the band’s Somewhere Back in Time World Tour, which took place between February and March 2008.[5] During this leg of the tour, the group travelled 50,000 miles (encompassing India, Australia and North and South America) in just 45 days, performing 23 shows in 13 countries to half a million fans.[5][6] To achieve this, the band travelled in their own Boeing 757, nicknamed “Ed Force One” after the band’s mascot, Eddie, which was specially converted to carry the band, their crew and twelve tonnes of equipment.[6]

The aeroplane was largely piloted by the band’s lead singer, Bruce Dickinson, who was then employed by Astraeus Airlines.[7][8] According to Dickinson, who came up with the idea, Ed Force One meant they could visit countries where “The bean counters said it’s just not worth going” and allowed them to “do an almost European-type itinerary, but an on inter-continental basis”.[8] As a result, the band were able to perform in Costa Rica and Colombia for the first time.[9] The aircraft was flown under the call-sign “666”, a reference to their 1982 single “The Number of the Beast”, which provided the film’s title.[5]

1 Like