What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

John Lee Hooker & Earl Hooker - If You Miss 'im … I Got 'im.

John Lee and his cousin Earl laying down some quality boogie on New Year’s Day.

15 Likes

4 Likes

Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue

On Vinyl

12 Likes

Jean-Michel Jarre

Welcome To The Other Side

Listening on Tidal, superb.

Edward

10 Likes

Larry Coryell - Heavy Feel

I’m starting 2021 as I ended 2020, with this from the late Maestro Coryell. I wonder if Hendrix would have been this good had he not died so young.

10 Likes

Sophie Zelmani - Sing and Dance, on CD from 2002 (originally)

The sensual voice and tones of SZ. If female vocal is your thing and you don’t like too much raucous power and simpler arrangements, this is one to look out IMV. Great repro too.

4 Likes

Larry Coryell - The Power Trio Live in Chicago

Another angle from Larry Coryell. He explored every avenue of jazz (and defined others). Here he’s in post-bop venturing into the avant-garde. This is one amazing live jazz album. Larry’s solo version of George Harrison’s Something is truly sublime.

7 Likes

Happy New Year everybody

38 Likes

The Friends of Mr Cairo: What a terrific album. I always wanted to know the precise quotes from the Maltese Falcon in the title track. Sadly not included on the lyric sheet.

4 Likes

Hypoluxo

1 Like

Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender

On Vinyl

7 Likes

Absolutely outstanding and emotionally connecting.
I truly wonderful recording… the piano and orchestra are beautifully captured with all the subtle tonalities, textures and inter play.

9 Likes

Jean-Michel Jarre

Aero

Happy New Year and all the best for 2021.

Edward

8 Likes

Starting out with nostalgia and probably the tracks that got me in to serious listening and the kit to go with that.

Also reminds me of all that hope and opimism that I had and perhaps need right now.

16 Likes

Joe Bonamassa - Royal Tea.

I’m a big fan of Joe’s, but this album just isn’t doing it at all for me.

Tired, formulaic songs, and, overall, … just boring. :-1:

Think he’s running out of steam, somewhat.

Thoughts, anyone?

6 Likes
2 Likes

Totally agree… its the first JB album I didn’t buy. Listened on Qobuz…lasted two tracks.
Shame… think you may be right

1 Like

I might be wrong, but I’m not sure that listening to Leonard Cohen will necessarily help with the hope and optimism.

1 Like

I came to that conclusion several years ago with Mr Bonamassa. I think Sloe Gin was where I gave up.

2 Likes

I listened to the whole album a few times last year, and wasn’t inspired to come back to it until this afternoon … and like yourself, lasted until halfway through the second track.

Now playing this, to restore the smiles, Chez Dave.

Dread Zeppelin - Un-Led-Ed.

12 Likes