What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Amy Winehouse - At the BBC

There’s nothing new in this triple vinyl/CD set as it’s just an audio only release of previous BBC albums and DVDs. But it is Amy! Curiously they don’t include an audio version of the ‘Day She Came to Dingle’ DVD, which was a BBC documentary after all.

I so wish they’d release her three Glastonbury sets. That would make a great DVD/CD/vinyl box set.

13 Likes

The Rolling Stones - Live Licks, the first disc is compiled of the usual concert staples, however the second disc features some songs rarely played live. Unfortunately there is some needless editing of songs, which rather spoils things.

9 Likes

Derek and the Dominoes. Layla and other assorted love songs. 2011 double cd.

16 Likes

Pete Yorn & Scarlette Johansson - “Break Up” (2009)

3 Likes

Cassandra Wilson thunderbird

7 Likes

Listening to these Tidal Masters vs CD, they do seem to be more detailed, with a good sense of “place”, but they definitely lack bite and attack, they sound a bit soft…

16 Likes

Who’s this Derek fella, any good?

1 Like

A rare play (for me) of this Lucinda album

13 Likes

What an all-star lineup… you’re making me jealous Haim!

Claude

1 Like

He’s God around here Alan. :grinning:
You just need to have a little blind faith.

1 Like

On vinyl… :sunglasses: :notes:

12 Likes

Interestingly, this is a CD I’ve had for years with a different cover. Doesn’t matter it’s a great album

JimTomlinsonTheLyric2008321_f

Claude

5 Likes

This Derek, and Susan and Trey are going to do it live and on recording this summer.

7 Likes

Matt Deighton - “The Common Good” (2001)

1 Like

OMG, the cover on qobuz is a massive improvement. Thank goodness it doesn’t affect the SQ of the product. :joy:

1 Like

CD - ECM Records : )

Keith Jarrett – piano
Jan Garbarek – tenor and soprano saxophones
Palle Danielsson – bass
Jon Christensen – drums

Recorded at the Arne Bendiksen Studios, Oslo (Norway) 24/25th April 1974

<>

Happy Birthday Keith Jarrett! :balloon: :balloon: :birthday: :balloon:

born on May 8, 1945, in Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States :us:

76 years old Today! :grinning:

Wiki:
Jarrett suffered two major strokes in February and May 2018. After the second he was paralyzed and spent nearly two years in a rehabilitation facility. Although he regained a limited ability to walk with a cane and can play piano with his right hand, he remains partly paralyzed on his left side and is not expected to perform again. “I don’t know what my future is supposed to be" Jarrett told The New York Times in October 2020. "I don’t feel right now like I’m a pianist.

16 Likes

Not much time to listen to music these days (the new job is taking its toll) so this morning’s is the first serious listen in the last 2 weeks or so.

Arnold Schoenberg, Five Pieces for Orchestra, Op. 16 (1962)
Anton Webern, Five Pieces for Orchestra, Op. 10 (1962)
Alban Berg, Three Pieces for Orchestra, Op. 6 and “Lulu” Suite (1961)
LSO, Antal Dorati, Antal Dorati. Helga Pilarczyk, soprano. Mercury Living Presence CD. (1990 compilation)

This CD offers 3 outstanding performances of the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Dorati. All 4 works are based on rhythms and dissonance and therefore may not be to everybody’s taste, but the interpretation is impressive, with irresistible rhythms and almost unbelievable dynamics (sound engineers for the CD used the original 35mm film recordings and very little compression).

Dorati Vienna

Claude

5 Likes

Same can be said of the CD version. One of the best recordings I own.

Interestingly, the Frapp’s Tales of Us isn’t in “master” MQA quality, just 16/44, and I think it sounds better for it – there’s definitely more excitement, and not the softness there was with the MQA stuff…

13 Likes

Paul Weller -Live Wood. Top, top live album

11 Likes