What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

That’s good to hear; I have a ticket for the twice-postponed Glasgow gig. Now due in October (please don’t let it be delayed again!)

Cheers,

Ian

Faye Webster - S/T

On Vinyl

3 Likes

Michael Franks blue pacific / 1990 Reprise / Japan Promo CD / WPCP3596

3 tracks produced by Tommy LiPuma,
3 tracks produced by Walter Becker
4 tracks produced by Jeff Lorber

Michael Franks Vocals
Brenda Russell, Bunny Hull Backing Vocals
Marc Russo Alto Saxophone
Paul Jackson Jr, Buzz Feiten, Dean Parks, Larry Carlton Guitar
John Beasley, Jeff Lorber Keyboards
Joe Sample Piano
Neil Stubenhaus, Freddie Washington, John Patitucci Bass
Marc Russo, Kirk Whalum Saxophone
Alex Acuña, Luis Conte Percussion
Peter Erskine, John Guerin, Vinnie Colaiuta Drums

3 Likes

Asylum Street Spankers - God’s Favorite Band
2009 acoustic blues with agnostic gospel and a hint of jazz from ASS.

2 Likes

Catskill, NY
May 2017
CD on Holland’s Dare2 Records

3 Likes

Picked up the CD, The very best of Dr. John in HMV for a fiver, bought on spec. Then, I had to have some more.

15 Likes

Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure

Brian Ferry singing as only He can!

Phil

19 Likes

This excellent 30th Anniversary pressing sounds rather wonderful on this miserable May afternoon

32 Likes

Hilary Hahn, Chausson* ∙ Prokofiev* ∙ Rautavaara*, Orchestre Philharmonique De Radio France, Mikko Franck ‎– Paris

CD|2021

13 Likes

The Claudette - High Times in the Dark
Piano blues band led by songwriter and pianist Johnny Iguana, Berit Ulseth provides great jazzy vocals.

6 Likes

A bit of Pink floyd, Obscured by Clouds and my programme 15pence ! from December 1974 Birmingham Hippodrome. Set list included early versions of tracks from Animals, Shine on Crazy Diamond all of DSOTM and Echoes…not bad eh.

12 Likes

Continuing with my Ben Webster splurge.

6 Likes

Noticed that Steve Williamson had pitched up on the latest Sons Of Kemet. Where’s he been for the last 25 years? Dug out his 1990 debut Waltz for Grace on Verve vinyl. From the last but one Brit jazz revival although its broad afro Carribbean influences sound of today. Excellent late 80s band with @TheKevster’s fave singer Abbey Lincoln on the title track.

2 Likes

David Bowie at The Kit Kat Club (Live New York 99)

14 Likes

Speakers Corner 100% analogue vinyl, arrived today, given a run-through on the RCM and sounding stellar!

18 Likes

51CMR63Wa9L.AC_SX425
Slint, Tweez

3 Likes

Greetingd Geoff
Looks very attractive, will deffo check that out, cheers!
:heart:

1 Like

I’ve told the full story here before, I had the great pleasure and equally awesome and menacing experience of seeing RL Burnside with his son on drums in a tiny shoe box venue above a pub in Brighton, many many moons ago, seriously something else!

1 Like

Ornate Coleman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come (1959)
Fantastic album with Don Cherry, Charlie Haden and Billy Higgins, apparently this is where the “Free” Jazz movement kind of kicked off. Superb playing even streaming whilst driving inin in my cab where my listening isn’t as attentive as it would otherwise be.
It’s not particularly that “free” but I understand it caused a stir at the time. To be honest “free” Jazz for me starts here and ends with A Love Supreme, well almost.
So much of what came after sounded, as I believe George Melly once described, like a fire in a pet shop. Hyped up by pretentious posers pretending to get it just to be hip I might add.

7 Likes

Ah! Great, I didnt see your post before I posted the above

1 Like