4 Likes

7 Likes

Paul Weller Fat Pop Vol 1

20210517_121011

6 Likes

On CD:-

12 Likes

Loving this this morning, big up @johnt for posting
Great fun putting a smile on my face, good music too…
Asylum Street Spankers - Gods Favourite Band

Artist Biography by Richard Skelly

Spanks for the MemoriesThe Asylum Street Spankers, from Austin, TX, are a unique band led by vocalist/washboard player/poet Wammo and vocalist Christina Marrs. They’re finding a growing cult following for their unique brand of acoustic blues and early jazz. While much of their material is blues from the 1920s and '30s, the Asylum Street Spankers also perform original songs in their live shows and on their debut album for Watermelon Records, Spanks for the Memories. The band’s live shows are performed without amplifiers or microphones, usually including tunes from Bessie Smith and Robert Johnson along with other standard and traditional blues tunes.

In addition to Wammo and Marrs, bandmembers have included guitarist Colonel Josh Arnson, guitarist Jeff Ross, banjo and mandolin player Pops Bayless, drummer Jimmie Dean, guitarist and saw player Olivier Giraud, kazoo player Mysterious John, guitarist and singer/songwriter Guy Forsyth, and bassist Kevin Smith. The genesis of the band occurred in the early '90s at a hotel outside of Austin. After an all-night acoustic tune swap, the musicians realized they were onto something, getting back to basics and playing acoustic music. After several phone calls and circulated tapes, the band met again for a rehearsal, and the chemistry took over from there.

Nasty Novelties [EP]The Asylum Street Spankers began attracting growing crowds after playing steady Wednesdays at the Electric Lounge, a bar in Austin, and from that following, they took the next step and recorded their debut album for the local Watermelon label. While many of the melodies and progressions on Spanks for the Memories are old, some of the band’s lyrics are straight out of contemporary America. Songs like “Funny Cigarette,” “Trade Winds,” “Lee Harvey,” and “Hometown Boy” are funny and entertaining to most audiences. This was proven by the following live album, which chronicled a 1996 show and showcased their charm and charisma in a live setting. The Nasty Novelties EP provided fans with one great song title, “Rotten Cocksucker’s Ball,” but it was the following year’s full-length Hot Lunch that brought the real goods. Another fine set of old-fashioned pop, the record won rave reviews and set them apart from other, more gimmick-oriented revivalists.

Spanker MadnessThe next year, Spanker Madness took fans by surprise with its hootenanny-style structure and heavy cast of guest musicians. Every song revolved around the merits of marijuana, and the humorous approach and loose vibe drafted a new set of fans who were enticed by the band’s liberal politics. A clever Christmas album and an EP of more dirty songs (highlighted by the hilarious “Everybody’s F#cking But Me”) held over fans until 2002, when My Favorite Record was released on their own Spanks-a-Lot Records. Mercurial, a typically eclectic outing that included a cover of the Beastie Boys’ “Paul Revere” and a hoedown version of Black Flag’s “TV Party,” was released in 2004, and Re-Assembly arrived in 2006. The Spankers came out with a bouncy, family-oriented album called Mommy Says No! the following year.
:heart:

3 Likes

Allegri String Quartet Beethoven + Britten / 1999 naim / Austria CD / naimcd027

5 Likes

Now playing-

15 Likes

Leftover Salmon - Brand New Good Old Days
A brew of bluegrass, Cajun, rock, blues, jazz and other American roots music. LS have been Colorado’s finest jamgrass band of the past 30 years. This new release is a wonderful feel good album, along with great toe tapping tunes and I can’t stop playing it.

3 Likes

First impression of the new Sons Of Kemet.
I love Sons Of Kemet, their first two albums on the Naim label were my main introduction to the new UK “Jazz” thang.
If like me you have their previous 3 albums (Burn, Lest We Forget…and Your Queen)and the brilliant Theon Cross solo album Fyah then to my ears “theres nothing to see hear, move along please”
More of the same, they sound to me on this like a band that’s not sure of its direction following the above albums and are retreading what’s gone before, theres little variety in the tracks and the spoken word, dance hall and rap vocal on a few tracks along with bits of noodling just sounds lame and uninspiring.
Not taking anything away from the narrative of Black struggle, BLM, George Floyd etc but in terms of the music its disappointing, sorry.
Oh and that title, referencing the Michael J Fox films, really?

Sons Of Kemet - Black To The Future

The Guardian likes it

5 Likes

Nikki Jean - Pennies In A Jar
Classic 60’s and 70’s soul/pop with all great new material by Nikki and co-written with legends Thom Bell, Luigi Creatore, Lamont Dozier, Burt Bacharach, Jeff Barry, Carole King, Bobby Braddock, Paul Williams, Jimmy Webb, Barry Mann, Cynthia Well and Carly Simon. The result is one heck of an album. Belter ©℗®™ 2021 NigelB

3 Likes

I’ll have a bit of that Leftover Salmon, very nice ta

1 Like

Until now I thought Fat Pop was an overweight father :thinking:

1 Like

Amy Winehouse at the BBC

Listening on Qobuz, trying to decide if I need to buy this on vinyl, when I already have the blue CD set and the whole lot on the DVD set. Mmm…

11 Likes

American Aquarium - Slappers, Bangers & Certified Twangers, Vol. 1
The title says it all, if you like a bit of country then you will enjoy this album.

3 Likes

Big up @GeoffC for this
Bob Malach (new to me I think) - Mood Swing
Nothing too challenging just nicely recorded and played laid back and cool Jazz, Dr John makes a guest appearance

From Bensidran.com;

MOOD SWING / BOB MALACH

Go Jazz, 1989

Saxophonist Bob Malach has recorded more diverse music and with more diverse musicians than most musicians could dream about . Ever since we were first introduced in 1978 by saxophonist Michael Brecker, Bob has been one of my closest musical compatriots, a true soul brother and partner in crime. When I started the Go Jazz label, making a solo record with Bob was among my first priorities.

Bob Malach Saxophone
Vinny Colaiuta Drums
Dr. John Vocals
Robben Ford Guitar
Russ Ferrante Piano
Steve Gadd Drums
Eddie Gomez Bass
Tom Harrell Trumpet
Will Lee Bass
Bob Mintzer Saxophone

3 Likes

Ha I think I’ve heard my grandkids call me that. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Yellowjackets Timeline / 2011 Mack Avenue / US CD / MAC1058

Excellent sound / music (as usual!) this was Jimmy Haslip’s last recording with YJ’s after 20+years.
Listening to this now, I have only just realised how Bob Mintzer reminds of Stan Getz!

3 Likes