What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Beethoven Symphony No. 9 | Royal Flemish Philharmonic with Phillipe Herreweghe.
I just fancied Ludwig van B’s 9th as I often do and this one makes a change from the Netherlands S.O. that I usually play.

7 Likes

On cd…bought in hmv for £6.99. Bargain or what?

9 Likes

Also on cd…

IMG_0847

15 Likes

Now playing…

Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

Steve Winwood (Guitar, Keyboards, Vocals), Rebop Kwaku Baah (Congas), Jim Capaldi (Drums, Keyboards, Vocals), Jim Gordon (Drums), Rick Grech (Bass) and Chris Wood (Wind).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… following a mention from @ditton66 above I placed ‘The low spark of high heeled boys’ into the queue and now kicking off this beautiful Tuesday morning. A trip back in the way back machine to 1971 and one of my favorite albums at the time of its release, it did get a lot of play at the time and still sounding sublime!

18 Likes

9 Likes

Yeah, she was only in the band briefly, right?
Edit: according to my Chinese mate Goog Linn she joined the re formed line up and was on the 2006 EP Revenge Of The Killer Slits
:heart:

1 Like

Ahmad Jamal Blue Moon / 2012 Jazz Village / France CD / JV570001

Having played CD’s with the titles Eclipse and Sunlight earlier today this excellent disc seems appropriate as the evening approaches.

9 Likes

Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris | Real Live Roadrunning | 2006

9 Likes

Now playing…

Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad

Donald Fagen (Vocals, Keyboards, Horn Arrangements, Rhythm Arrangements), Walter Becker (Bass, Guitar), Randy Brecker (Flugelhorn, Horn, Trumpet), Cornelius Bumpus (Tenor Saxophone), Angela Clemmons-Patrick (Vocals), Leroy Clouden (Drums, Percussion), Ronnie Cuber (Baritone Saxophone), Illinois Elohainu (Tenor Saxophone)Lawrence Feldman (Flute, Tenor Saxophone), Frank Floyd (Vocals), Diane Garisto (Vocals), Paul Griffin (Organ), Amy Helm (Vocals), Any Helm (Vocals), Bashiri Johnson (Percussion), Birch Johnson (Trombone), Mindy Joslyn (Vocals), Mindy Jostyn (Vocals), Brenda King (Vocals), Curtis King (Vocals), Paul Marchetti (Drums), Lou Marini (Clarinet, Flute, Alto Saxophone), Dennis McDermott (Drums), Jenni Muldaur (Vocals), Chris Parker (Drums), Christopher Parker (Drums), Jim Pugh (Trombone), Tim Ries (Tenor Saxophone),Roger Rosenberg (Baritone Saxophone), Alan Rubin (Flugelhorn, Trumpet), Katherine Russell (Vocals), Art Smith (Drums), Dian Sorel (Vocals), Fonzi Thornton (Vocals), David Tofani (Flute, Tenor Saxophone), and Georg “Jojje” Wadenius (Guitar).

Streaming on Qobus (96/24)… continuing on this morning with Donald and this fine collection of talented musicians and they are sounding mighty sweet! Just love it!…

15 Likes

For some reason, driving around listening to Black Keys made me think of Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and another band who recorded Burning Your House Down, but I couldn’t remember the name of the band, it was on the tip of my tongue and driving me nuts trying to remember…
Now I’m home…

:heart:

2 Likes

Lucinda Williams | West | 2007
One of my favourite albums from her.

13 Likes

Now playing…

Ketil Bjornstad - The Light

Ketil Bjørnstad (Piano), Randi Stene (Mezzo-Soprano) and Lars Anders Tomter (Viola).

Streaming on NAS (44.1/16)… continuing on through the noon hour with Ketil’s ‘The Light’ album. Changing the pace and Randi’s voice is beautiful and works so well with Ketil and Anders playing, one very sweet album!

1 Like

David Gilmour - On An Island, some tasteful bluesy guitar as “Dave” takes things at a stately pace.

20 Likes

Not mixed really the issues where more to do with vinyl pressings and I think one member said they didn’t like it the rest was all very positive.

Yes Fragile / 2003 Elektra / Germany CD / Slip Case + Booklet Replica / 8122737892
This edition has the excellent bonus tracks - America + Roundabout (early rough mix).

No excuse needed to play this, but another celebratory nod to Rick Wakeman on his birthday :+1:

17 Likes

Declan O’Rourke - Chronicles of the Great Irish Famine

A truly incredible double album, packaged and pressed beautifully.

Real life stories from both the famine of the 1840’s and it’s aftermath set to both traditional and modern Irish music.

After Declan discovered his Grandfather had been born in a Workhouse he set out to record this traumatic period in Irish History in song. It took him 15 years to complete and the result is a work of art.

3 Likes

Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Play The Blues.

13 Likes

Matthew Halsall - Salute to the Stars, Gondwana Records (2020).

More beautiful Spiritual Jazz from the Mancunian trumpet player. Half Speed Mastered and pressed at Optimal it’s a little bit crackly in between tracks but once you get passed that it’s really nicely recorded.

7 Likes

Allsopp Vosloo Stanley Giles - Once In a While, Impossible Ark Records (2012)

This limited edition of 300 is very nicely pressed and sounds excellent 8 covers of well known Jazz standards played beautifully by this British Quartet.

Now playing…

Ketil Bjornstad - A passion for John Donne

Ketil Bjørnstad (Piano), Håkon Kornstad (Tenor Saxophone, Flute, Voice), Birger Mistereggen (Percussion) and the Oslo Chamber Choir: directed by Håkon Daniel Nystedt.

Streaming on NAS… continuing on this Tuesday afternoon and as I start up my exercise routine for today I am turning to some music and poetry blended together, pure joy. Love Ketil’s description, “It is in the language, in the rhythm, in the silence between the sentences - a passionate quest for meaning and reconciliation.” I love this album and have not had it out for awhile, it is one sweet album and sounding mighty fine!

2 Likes