What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Now Playing…

OMD Architecture and Morality.

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… a mention above from @Sloop_John_B had me place in the queue since I never heard the group’s music. So taking out for a spin and the opening track is sounding pretty good and grab my attention… so looking forward to the rest of the album.

13 Likes

5 Likes

Iona Brown & The Norwegian Chamber Orchestra Greig + Tippett + Beethoven
2001 naim / Austria CD / naimcd009

Recorded August 1994 Salisbury Cathedral
Recording Engineer Ken Christianson
Mastering Julian Vereker

6 Likes

Greta Van Fleet The Battle at the Garden Gate

6 Likes

@Bevo @Bobthebuilder There have been a lot of mixed reviews of Fat Pop from casual listeners and fans alike (nothing to do with the pressing) on this thread (take a look) and on another well known forum.
The pressing quality is another matter and with regard to that, maybe just a few rogue samples I dont know, it’s not just “one” person who has brought this to attention, I’ve read from at least two other members who have had issues, and one of those was on Bobs own PW thread.

Fwiw I’m a fan of PW and initially thought Fat Pop one of his best, but with repeated listening I think I got carried away with hyperbole, its OK but not that great imo the more one listens, the opposite of what some might call a “grower”.
:heart:

1 Like

19 Likes

Bowie Diamond Dogs

25 Likes

Thanks Dread and @Bobthebuilder yes I’m a big fan of Weller -seen him once in concert here in Sydney, I could tell it was rushed as evidently they had to get to the airport that night to catch the last plane to Dubai

The previous album On Sunset is pretty good IMO , I have most of his stuff

Cheers

1 Like

Kicked off the morning with Ornate Coleman (again) The Shape Of Jazz To Come, looking forward to receiving the Speakers Corner pressing hopefully tomorrow…

Now tuned into the brilliant lions of Ladbroke Grove, Aswad - A New Chapter Of Dub

6 Likes

Back to my yoof with some swamp rock, swaggeriffic hell bound blues, with a touch of Gothic country

6 Likes

I feel somewhat conflicted. Would love to listen to The Carpenters live and see Karen Carpenter’s magic hands with the drums. But then l wouldn’t have streaming service and vast amount of materials like I have so conveniently at my disposal.

The Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. :relieved:

10 Likes

Diana Krall When I look in your eyes / 1999 Verve / US CD / IMPD304

13 Likes

From playing A New Chapter Of Dub, just had to carry on with the original…
Aswad - New Chapter

AllMusic Review by Richie Unterberger

New Chapter was one of the career highlights for Aswad, and one of the stronger undiluted reggae albums to appear on a major label in the early '80s. The group at this point had command of several qualities that not many reggae acts were able to combine all at once: strong soulful harmonies, modern squiggly and swooping electronic effects, tight rhythms, a sweetly mournful brass section, and a variety of repertoire that ran from politics and pride to devotion and romance. The result was not only a good record, but also one that contained considerably more variety than much reggae by other artists of similar renown. The vocal harmonies and snazzy horns dovetailed with each other especially nicely on “Natural Progression,” while “I Will Keep on Loving You” and “Didn’t Know the Time” showcased the group’s skill with tuneful ballads that could have found snug homes with American soul vocal groups. The 2002 CD reissue on Columbia/Legacy adds four tracks from 1981 12" singles: “Finger Gun Style” and its dub version (titled “Dub Style”), and an extended version of “Ways of the Lord” and its dub version (titled “Ways of the Dub”).

3 Likes

Magnum

Wings of Heaven

Edward

2 Likes

James Taylor, hourglass. Very smooth. Love Gaia. :heart:

12 Likes

Now playing-

19 Likes

Michel Petrucciani Live / 1994 Blue Note / Holland CD / 077778058922

3 Likes

First chance to listen to their latest release, the guitar bit at the start of the first track has triggered a memory of a Marillion track for some reason, thats the afternoon sorted trying to identify where it comes from.

3 Likes

Sarah McKenzie, we could be lovers. Lovely! It sounds better than alright! :blush:

3 Likes

Takuya Kuroda Rising Son / 2014 Blue Note / EU CD / 0602537622993

2 Likes