What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

LP - ECM : )

Chick Corea – piano
Gary Burton – vibraphone

Recorded on 6th November 1972 at Arne Bendiksen Studio, Oslo, Norway

10 Likes

Now playing…

Dan Penn - Living On Mercy

Dan Penn (Vocals), Buzz Cason (Vocals), Clayton Ivey (Hammond B3, Keyboards, Strings), Marie Lewey (Vocals), Will McFarlane (Guitar), Doug Moffet (Baritone Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone), Michael Rhodes (Bass), Charles Rose (Trombone), Milton Sledge (Drums), Cindy Walker (Vocals) and Drew White (Trumpet).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on into the early afternoon with Dan and his most recent album (August 2020) and Dan and the talented group of musicians with him are sounding sublime!

8 Likes

Chick Corea & The Spanish Heart Band Antidote / 2019 Concord / EU CD / 0888072103351

3 Likes

John Lee Hooker - The Best Of Friends, a compilation of the high profile duets he performed on his “comeback” albums of the '80’s and '90’s. A lovely collection.

18 Likes

Perfect thirty minutes or so of subtle techno from Richie Hawtin.

Narkosis - Plastikman

2 Likes

Played it the other day. I’ve always enjoyed it, think it has been unfairly judged.

1 Like

Now playing…

Diane Birch - Bible Belt

Diane Birch (Bells, Farfisa Organ, Fender Rhodes, Finger Snaps, Guitar, Handclapping, Keyboards, Organ, Piano, Vocals, Wurlitzer), John R. Angier (Horn Arrangements, String Arrangements), Ray Angry (HammondOrgan), Cindy Blackman (Drums), Adam Blackstone (Bass), Eugene Briskin (Cello), Eva Burmeister (Violin), Tomas K. Carney (Violin), Minyoung Chang (Violin), David Creswell (Viola), Sumyia Dabney (Handclapping, Vocals), Desiree Elsevier (Viola), Steve Greenberg (Finger Snaps, Handclapping), Dawn Hannay (Viola), Jim Hines (Trumpet), Bobby Jay and the Hawks (Handclapping, Vocals), Shan Jiang (Violin), Vivek Kamath (Viola), Joel Katz (Handclapping, Vocals), Lenny Kaye (Electric Guitar), Lisa Kim (Violin), Sumire Kudo (Cello), Jeanne LeBlanc (Cello), Elizabeth Lim (Violin), Frank London (Trumpet), Michael Longoria (Vocals), Kuan Cheng Lu (Violin), Tom “Bones” Malone (Flugelhorn, Horn Arrangements, Trombone), Lou Marini (Saxophone), Karen Marx (Violin), John McCurry (Acoustic Guitar,Electric Guitar), Eileen Moon (Cello), Stanton Moore (Drums, Percussion), Jose Moro (Handclapping, Vocals), Angelo Morris (Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar), Maxim Moston (String Arrangements), Phil Myers (Horn), Sarah O’Boyle (Violin), Fionn Ó Lochlainn (Electric Guitar)Suzanne Ornstein (Violin), Daniel Panner (Viola), Sandra Park (Violin), Lenny Pickett (Saxophone), Eugene Pitt (Handclapping, Vocals), Annaliesa Place (Violin), George Porter, Jr. (Bass), Shannon Powell (Tambourine), Erik Ralske (Horn), Michael Roth (Viola), Sophie Shao (Cello), Jenny Strenger (Violin), Arnaud Sussmann (Violin), Alicia Svigals (String Arrangements), Cole Williams (Handclapping, Vocals), Mary Wooten (Cello), Betty Wright (Finger Snaps, Handclapping, Vocals), Jung Sun Yoo (Violin) and Wei Hong Yu (Cello).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… moving on into the afternoon with Diane and this 2010 album release and Diane and her supporting group of talented musicians are sounding sublime! This is a lovely album and never disappoints…

15 Likes

Long day. Perfect end!

2 Likes

Agreed, i think it originally suffered when compared to Elton’s golden period, which ended with Capt. Fantastic, but in hindsight i think it is great collection and stands alongside his finest work. How’s the ankle these days Pete?

2 Likes

cover

Southern Rock from France.

1 Like

Ankle is fine thanks back walking and swimming to try to lose some covid induced weight gain.

1 Like

One from earlier - Stevie Wonder’s Music Of My Mind on vinyl. Relatively new to me, but I am exploring what is regarded as an exceptional run of albums from him.

21 Likes

I saw Fink and his band at Gorilla, Manchester, a few years back, and they are very, very good live, so now, as live gigs start to happen again, post lockdown, don’t miss him if he happens to be on, down your way. :+1:

2 Likes

Just spinning this vinyl collection. Elvis Presley - 24 Karat Hits. Great fun and my other half is really enjoying this as well.

11 Likes

Paris Blues Original Soundtrack, on the Rykodisc label.

8 Likes

One of the many great electronic albums from this era that sounds as magnificent now as it did then.

Dead Cities - FSOL

9 Likes

Amazing collaboration between Bill Callahan and Bonnie “Prince” Billy, recorded separately (I believe) due to Covid19. This particular song is just spectacular, but this project produced (as singles - link) many other good ones.

1 Like

Russel Louder. Canadian, trans, and a voice that soars. Highly reminiscent of early 80’s electronic but made fresh for our times.

And

Dry Cleaning, from London. Steam of consciousness or is it poetry? Who cares when the lines are delivered in the most addictive dead pan ever. Yet again of our time in so many ways.

4 Likes

Moonchild Please Rewind / 2015 Tru Thoughts / UK CD / TRUCD 320

3 Likes

I bought this in my early teens in the mid-eighties whilst on holiday in the UK. I’ve always kept my vinyl well and this is no exception. Little did I know at the time but it is a Steve Hoffman remaster from the first gen tapes. It sounds absolutely incredible, literally Buddy is in the room good! It is one of my best sounding records. You can pick it up for little over a fiver in the usual places. Highly recommended for any Buddy fans.

8 Likes