What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Now playing…

Paul Bley - Fragments

Paul Bley (Piano), John Surman (Soprano Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Bass Clarinet), Bill Frisell (Guitar) and Paul Motian (Drums).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this afternoon with this fantastic quartet! A wonderful album and love the space and interplay between the musicians, just superb. One very sweet album!

Last one from the birthday boy.

17 Likes

Jack Johnson On and On

12 Likes

James Taylor’s Greatest Hits

15 Likes

Now playing…

Bill Frisell - The Best of Bill Frisell, Volume 1: Folks Songs

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… returning from an afternoon walk and taking Bill out for another spin and he is sounding sublime! One lovely album and just love the guitar on the album cover…

7 Likes

Now playing…

Bill Frisell - Beautiful Dreamers

Bill Frisell (Guitar), Eyvind Kang (Viola) and Rudy Royston (Drums).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this evening with Bill and this fabulous trio with this 2010 album release and they are sounding sublime! Perhaps not for everyone but I do enjoy Bill’s work across so many types of music and with the hundreds of people he has worked with throughout his career.

2 Likes

David Gray Skellig

8 Likes

Superb…

1 Like

Hungover - everyone else also suffering - so kick start the morning with this wonderful desert blues offering. Mdou Moctar Afrique Victime. Tidal on phone - can’t wait to hear on vinyl through the main system. At times lilting at times urgent and forceful. Brilliant guitar work both electric and accoustic, lovely harmonies, interspersed with atmospheric field recordings of Niger life. Stonking!

3 Likes

The only good thing about a hangover is you know your going to improve as the day goes on, eventually. Horrible way to start your day, hope it was worth. :+1:

1 Like

Young Americans Bowie.

19 Likes

Interesting, agree that Diamond Dogs is very special and was part of a wave of energetic creativity, but I think the following albums also push the boundaries even further (Berlin trilogy specifically), some of which took a while for me to appreciate fully. Really like some of the later work too - Lets Dance (gateway album), Outside, The Next Day, and (for me especially) Heathen , and then there’s the final chapter with Blackstar - an awe inspiring body of work.

3 Likes

Love this album!

2 Likes

Allison Russell, outside child. Thanks @SneakyPete for this. Good on her for sharing such personal past trauma and I hope she experienced much healing and finds release, joy, pride and hope in her new life and music. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s a favourite of mine as well, wanted to hear it through my new gear. :+1:

London Grammar, if you wait. I don’t like the cover art nearly as much as I like the songs inside. :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

I loved DDs the 3 part Sweet Thing tracks are brilliant, but I also appreciated the next direction. Young Americans is a better album than critics claimed, the track Can You Hear Me is imo his best ballad.

1 Like

Someone posted this yesterday (sorry I forgot who, apologies)
Initially caught my eye as I thought he had a bit of a resemblance to Linton Kwesi Johnson.
A new name to me, great driving Blues n soul, cheers!
Robert Finley - Sharecropper’s Son
20210525_105625
Quite fitting given the current Black Keys love in here, produced and co written by Dan Auerbach

:heart:

8 Likes

Fleetwood Mac Tusk

17 Likes

Alela Diane, Cusp. Feeling a little melancholy tonight. There are some new Covid cases and new restrictions have come into effect. Attending an opera performance tomorrow event and wondering if it would be impacted from singers, organiser and patrons’ perspectives.

8 Likes