What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Sade Stronger Than Pride / 1988 Epic / US CD / EK42210

A perfect distraction to calm any stressful thoughts of the day.

21 Likes

Tony Joe White | The Shine | 2010
No apologies for re-playing and posting this one again, possibly one of his best albums even at the age of 67. Such an underrated artist it’s good to be playing him again.

6 Likes

Borrowed this from my boss and left it on my power amp back in the day when you could fry an egg on it.

Came home and the vinyl was a like a Dali-esque clock running over the side of the amp. Had to nip into Our Price the next day and buy a new copy - slipped it in the sleeve and he never said a word. Phew still sends a shiver down my spine!

3 Likes

Musical fidelity A1?

3 Likes

You know I think it was - not sure if that was the integrated version and I had the power amp.

I was a big fan of Musical Fidelity ending up with the monster A1000 amp before moving over to Naim.

1 Like

Andy at Signals before he joined repaired hifi, commented it was a full time job repairing the fried innards of the A1. I almost bought one….great sounding amp, then they played the shoe boxes😭

1 Like

Now playing…

John Mellencamp - No Better Than This

John Mellencamp (Acoustic Guitar, Vocals), Jay Bellerose (Drums, Percussion), T-Bone Burnett (Acoustic Guitar (Electric Guitar), Marc Ribot (Banjo, Electric Guitar), David Roe (Bass), Miriam Sturm (Violin) and Andy York (Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on through the noon hour with John Mellencamp and this fantastic group of musicians and they are sounding mighty sweet! From the review: "No Better Than This is its sound: mono – recorded live to an Ampex 601 tape recorder circa 1955, with a single microphone without mixing or overdubs. Its warmth and presence are immediate and engulfing." One of my favorite of John’s and well worth the time to give a listen…

7 Likes

Not sure how many times I played this today but thoroughly enjoying it.

2 Likes

Calexico / Iron & Wine - Years To Burn.
Calexico / Iron & Wine touring this album was the last concert I went to.

11 Likes

12 Likes

Enjoying these great musicians

3 Likes

Recent release from Dublin based singer songwriter Adrian Crowley, The Watchful Eye of The Stars, well worth checking out. Qobuz 44/16

2 Likes

7 Likes

Liza Minnelli and Joel Grey

4 Likes

@AndyP - you prompted me to get this out… original UK vinyl

5 Likes

Late reading this Kev, but yes fond memories. I only saw him once on this tour at Manchester. I’ll never forget the opening with the screen sliding to reveal the ‘real’ band. He was in fine voice that evening I felt.

1 Like

ZZ Top - Live From Texas.

Watching The Tops on Amazon Prime … a blistering set from the lil’ ol’ band from Texas.

13 Likes

Now playing…

Lula Wiles - Shame and Sedition

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… a mention from @ewemon above had me place this in the queue and now taking out for a spin, opening track sounding sweet! …looking forward to the rest of the album.

2 Likes

Robert Cray - Who’s Been Talkin’. Fine album from Mr Cray, and one of my favs of his…

14 Likes

What a stunning LP this is! Count Basie - Live At The Sands (before Frank). This really swings with some cracking tunes and tremendous SQ - hard to believe it was recorded in 1966. It also reminds me of my dad, who loved big band / swing music.

11 Likes