What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

I got my Node 2i at a 30% discount (so about £350) and TBH I think I’d prefer the Qutest to the Hugo (I like the former’s BNC sockets and the USB B port) , so I could get the whole lot for about £1550, which seems pretty good value to me and £900 less than the ND5 XS2. I’m going to experiment later to see if the Hugo improves the sound from my Oppo 205.

1 Like

3 Likes

1972 - Ian Carr // Belladonna

6 Likes

Andrew Rose is an audio engineer who works for the Pristine classical label.
If you have a look on there it will explain in detail but in summary, it corrects for some errors in the recording using convolution audio technology.
I only have the Miles Davis First Quintet recordings and Kind of Blue but they have impressed me sonically, especially the quintet recordings, which were mono and take on a new life with the XR remaster technology.

1 Like

Great first album from Nathaniel & The Night Sweats

The first track I Need Never Get Old always makes me want to get up and bounce around the room what more could you ask of a piece of music

6 Likes

I notice that one Amazon reviewer feels the cd sounds significantly better than the vinyl on this one. (Gary Numan).

1 Like

Yes, I saw that too.

I’m not entirely sure yet as I’ve only played 1 of 2 discs and haven’t played the Amazon ‘silver’ edition at all.

At low volume I wondered if LP was a bit distorted on 1st track of side 2 of LP 1, putting volume up a bit it’s better and tracks 2-3 of side 2 are great. I think it’s the track itself.

I think this album is something of a grower so perhaps listening on vinyl after several hi-res download plays is just reinforcing that. Really subjective, and my vinyl setup really ought to be better but it does all boil down to the pressing.

LP2 awaits but a very quiet pressing on the black vinyl for me with no real flaws to date unlike many other recently purchased LPs.

I’d certainly not advise anyone to avoid the black vinyl version based on listening so far.

2 Likes

1968 - Sam Gopal / Escalator

3 Likes

What’s saddening for me is that my daughter loved Savage and I was excited to share the new release with her, she’s not interested in the slightest and says she no longer enjoys Savage/Numan either. We nearly went to the live Savage tour locally but she was too young to attend for some reason and it also clashed with a school trip anyway from memory. That would have been a great memory had we gone.

I suspect this will also mean a lot of prog she used to enjoy will also be consigned to the scrapheap.

Also exciting that she’s developing her own tastes in music and I still surprise her listening to modern artists which she doesn;t expect - Demi Lovato being the recent example.

I’m listening to the MQA version, very good. Not an artist I know well other than that song from long ago. Gary Numan - Intruder on Tidal.

2 Likes

Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising. It’s a while since I gave this a spin, so putting that right now. A delightful album.

8 Likes

Dan Penn excellent

7 Likes

Till this day I regretted the fact that I didn’t go to the trilogy tour.

:grimacing::fire:

1 Like

And then, this

5 Likes

1973 - String Driven Thing / The Machine That Cried

3 Likes

Cor!

9 Likes

Steve Winwood - Arc of A Diver

Vinyl.

Sounding every bit as good as it did forty years ago!

15 Likes

This Speakers Corner vinyl version is just so darned good…

30 Likes

St. Vincent - Marry Me
CD|2007

12 Likes

1967 -The Deviants / Ptooff!

2 Likes