What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

The Waterboys Where The Action Is.

6 Likes

Mendelssohn Violin Concerto, Symphony No.5 “Reformation”, Hebrides. Isabelle Faust & Pablo Heras-Casado. Beautiful music. :heart:

5 Likes

If you enjoy that try the previous album Savage which is superb.

1 Like

1st run, impressions so far very good

2 Likes

I got a similar deal on the Node, great value :+1:
I noticed you were listening to Tidal, from what little I know you need MQA support to get the best from Tidal, not sure if the Hugo supports the full unfolding, does it matter? Just curious
:heart:

1 Like

Not everything on Tidal is MQA (and the MQA stuff I tend to avoid anyway, because it knocks the life out of the music IMO) but no, the Hugo doesn’t support MQA, it looks like it just does 44.1/16 (not an expert on these matters so I’m sure a more informed Forumite can advise).

I tried some Spotify stuff last night, and even that sounds better via the Hugo than with just the naked Node.

1 Like

I’ve been using Tidal a hell of a lot and yes I’ve started to question the SQ, I’ve noticed some CD quality streams sound better than the MQA “HiRes” equivalent.
What I was meaning is that for HiRes listening with Tidal its MQA, I havent seen anything on Tidal thats in HiRes that isn’t MQA.
I think Quobuz sounds better but I prefer the way Tidal works and it seems to better match my musical preferences. I’m also having a go with the rivers trial service but it doesnt integrate well with BluOs (I dont like river so wouldnt pay them anyway)
Anyway enjoy the weekend
Cheers

1 Like

You’re welcome! Thanks for suggesting to me Paul Simon’s Stranger to Stranger

:wink:

2 Likes

St Vincent: Daddy’s Home – master of reinvention warps the sounds of the 70s

Playing with identity and touching on family matters, Annie Clark’s sixth album with wilfully twisted musical backing is hugely impressive.

11 Likes

My experience too. I only use Tidal (Tidal Masters tier) because I get it free through work…

As for moving forward, I’m going to see what happens with Apple Music before I decide whether or not to shell out for Qobuz or any other hi-res service.

1 Like

Texas - Hi
Good stuff.

8 Likes

I havent paid for any of them yet, I’ve been blagging free trials on multiple email accounts.
I’ve had several Tidals, currently 3months free river, a couple of Qobuz’s and I’ve just been offered to reactivate Tidal 2months for £2. One dodge I’ve noticed is after taking a free trial if you dont renew, Tidal start sending you offers to do so for buttons.
Probably a bit naughty but I justify it on the basis that I use it mostly to check out new music which translates to my buying cart loads and spending lots on physical records, which I hope benefits the artist more than what they get from streaming companies

Azymuth Crazy Rhythm / 1988 Milestone / US CD / MCD91562

1 Like

The Jayhawks Hollywood Town Hall

10 Likes

British guitarist/synth player creates contemporary jazz for the Lithuanian No Business label. A new arrival today, and rather good it is too…

2 Likes

Africa Express – ‘EGOLI’

This collaborative record, featuring Damon Albarn, Gruff Rhys, Moonchild Sanelly and more, is a scattershot and hedonistic diary.

1 Like

This is an amazing work. I thought of Tweedy and Farrar as like a Lennon McCartney.

5 Likes

Rokia Traoré - Tchamantché
Malian singer, songwriter snd guitarist. Beautiful music and vocals.

1 Like

The Bangles, different light. More nostalgic stuff but fun and entertaining. :partying_face:

8 Likes

Not played this album for a while, still sounds great

19 Likes