What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

The wonderful debut solo album by Paul Weller.

8 Likes

Snarky Puppy Tell Your Friends / 2012 Art of Groove / German CD + DVD / MIG80152

4 Likes

Golden rule of record collecting never put that album next to this Wild Willy Barrett album.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Which Country if you don’t mind my asking?

Fantastic I remember getting this home and being blown away. That long lost/borrowed/stolen vinyl copy would be worth a bit now though I have the reissue from about 5 years ago which is pretty decent.

1 Like

Beautiful album.

1 Like

The Dave Brubeck Quartet Time Out / 1997 Columbia / Austria HD CD / CK 65122

16 Likes

France. Post Brexit new normal.

Donald Fagen Tomorrow’s Girls / 1993 Reprise / US Promo CD Single / ProCD6200

5 Likes

Ok, congratulations and good luck. I only ask as we will be moving permanently to Spain eventually and of course Brexit has totally blown things apart, fortunately I’m entitled to an Irish passport through my parents though waiting times for that because of COVID are in the years rather than the usual months but my other half will have to apply for residence in Spain. She is half German though predictably they are not handing out passports as easily as the Irish, What a mess!

To be fair the French govt has made it quite easy to get the paperwork up to date for existing residents.

A fortnight or so on from release and I’m enjoying it more than ever. Yes, the songs are shortish and quite accessible first listen in, but that doesn’t mean that repeat listens don’t open up the beauty within many of these songs.

Start fo finish, I’d say it’s fantastic. No song stays in the same place as the one before or after it, and that’s a good thing here. It’s not one mood or vibe he’s going for, it’s lots of colours spread across a perfect time length.

(The vinyl isn’t my go to format, sadly, as it’s poor. So streaming it for full fat, fat pop).

3 Likes

Yes as have the Spanish which is extremely thoughtful of both if of course you are an existing resident but let’s get back to the music.

Donald Fagen Snowbound / 1993 Reprise / Germany CD Single / W0216CD

1 Snowbound (Edit) 4:52
2 Snowbound (Bass/Drums/Vocals Only Mix) 7:08
3 Trans-Island Skyway (Bass/Drums/Vocals Only Mix) 6:30

6 Likes

I’ve found this with a lot of his releases of late repeated listens and even going back to them after a good while really open them up. It’s a shame about the vinyl mine isn’t too bad but as a medium I’ve found it can sound very different with different systems but the main thing is you are able to enjoy it whatever way it comes!

1 Like

This one just isn’t working for me, I’ve loved all his solo stuff and from the Jam, I found it so far to be the opposite of a grower, I dunno will persevere :rofl:
:heart:

1 Like

Impulse Records Music, Message and the Moment
Cheap skate version :grinning:
On CD

10 Likes

The sublime and polished 70s slink of The Devil Is Loose - Asha Puthli

3 Likes

Donald Fagen Trans-Island Skyway / 1993 Reprise / US Promo CD Single / ProCD6397

4 Likes