What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue. Perfect for a blistering hot day in the studio.

14 Likes

Grover Washington JR Paradise / 2013 Elektra / Japan CD / WPCR27413

3 Likes

Queen - News of The World
Queen 40 Limited Edition Collectors cd box set

12 Likes

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs, on CD rip.

15 Likes

14 Likes

A Fine Frenzy ‎– Bomb In A Birdcage
CD|2009

4 Likes

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Ennio Morricone
On CD

16 Likes

I was going through old LPs that I haven’t listened to for ages and I started looking through my late father in laws collection (mostly Jim Reeves) and spied this. It looked in reasonable condition so I gave it a good clean and was surprised on how well it came up… so on it went!

It’s just nice to listen to some local music about places that you know and can relate to.

There is also the connection and the emotion that it hasn’t been played since he suddenly passed away in May 1981. Mrs M is at work so I will surprise her with it when she comes in.

3 Likes

Mott the Hoople - The Hoople

22 Likes

Now playing…

Matthew Halsall - Fletcher Moss Park

Matthew Halsall (Trumpet), Gavin Barras (Bass), Nat Birchall (Tenor Saxophone on tracks 1, 2, 3), Lisa Mallett (Flute on track 6), Rachael Gladwin (Harp on tracks 1, 2, 3, 6), Adam Fairhall (Piano on tracks 1, 2, 3), Taz Modi (Piano on tracks 6, 7), Gaz Hughes (Drums on tracks 1, 2, 3), Luke Flowers (Drums on tracks 6, 7), Holly Simpson (Violin on tracks 4, 5), Davinder Singh (Violin on tracks 4, 5) and Adrianne Wininsky (Cello on tracks 4, 5).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)…kicking off this Wednesday morning with Matthew and a very talented group of musicians and they are sounding sublime! This is one very sweet album…

12 Likes

I saw the stage play version, for which this PSB music was specifically written, when it was performed in 2019 (?) at Leeds (then still West Yorkshire) Playhouse.

Fantastic it’s got a non-fan club only release. Albeit streamed.

PSB seem to have somewhat inevitably morphed into “national treasures” in the eyes of non-PSB fans, and thus the range of music they’ve made and continue to make slides not exactly under the radar but barely seems to flicker on the screen for long.

cf. the various scores for Battleship Potemkin, The Most Incredible Thing, The Billie Trix Story & Closer To Heaven which all exemplify their deftness and skill at composing for other art forms.

7 Likes

Now playing-

18 Likes

@johnt inspired me to get out this orange vinyl double LP out…

19 Likes

Now playing

Then this

:fire::sunglasses::+1:

11 Likes

Thank you for the “first like “ @TheKevster .

:joy:

As you can see, I’m not lying

By the way: the “Now playing “ should be a trade mark of @seakayaker

:wink:

3 Likes

I think it’s his best :+1:
:heart:

1 Like

Now Playing…

Stephan Micus - Desert Poems

Stephan Micus (Sarangi, Dondon, Voice, Dilruba, Doussn’ Gouni, Kalimba, Sinding, Steel Drum, Percussion, Shakuhachi, Nay, Sattar, Flowerpots).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this morning and taking out Stephan for a spin. Prompted from a mention above from Keven that Stephan has and new release scheduled for next week. …as always Stephan is sounding sublime! One very sweet album…

2 Likes

19 Likes

Nina Simone devotes a live album pretty much to George Harrison.

12 Likes

Now playing…

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Texas Flood

Stevie Ray Vaughan (Guitar, Vocals), Chris Layton (Drums) and Tommy Shannon (Bass).

Streaming on Qobuz (176.4/24)… a revisit from a month ago and taking another trip back in time (1983) with a visit to Stevie Ray and he and the band are sounding sublime! The ‘Texas Flood’ track is just wonderful…

23 Likes