What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Supertramp Crime of the Century

25 Likes

11 Likes

New release by Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend. This is really, really good

8 Likes

A newly-acquired Craft Recordings all-analogue reissue, fresh out of the mailer, into the RCM and onto the fruit box. Sounding great! CCR really did have some tunes, didn’t they?

20 Likes

Donald Fagen Kamakiriad / 1993 Reprise / Gold Promo US CD / 945230DJ

Haven’t played this copy for a while, as my Japan promo CD is my ‘go to’, but this also sounds great!

When the day’s busy work is done
Soon the warm night breezes
Start rolling in off the sea
Yes, at lantern time
That’s when you come to me

16 Likes

The Impex reissue from 2011.

Sounds so much better this morning on the 805s, than on phones last night. Maybe all the gear wasn’t warmed up enough!

Can’t wait to get to Isis’ second album ( that arrived with Brubeck) that oddly did sound great on phones.

8 Likes

Now this cooks!

Great funkjazzrock band, sadly little known now it seems, or even back then.
Maybe a Lesbian love song was too much in 1975.

Reissue needed, Chad, PP et al!

3 Likes

On vinyl… :sunglasses: :notes: :+1:t3:

17 Likes

Love this album.

1 Like

The Nationals Trouble Will Find Me.

12 Likes

Casiopea Crosspoint / 2002 Village / Japan CD / VRCL2226

1 Like

The Qobuz hires version sounds so much better than my local nas redbook rip.

G

13 Likes

Beatles For Sale, imo their first album to sound excellent in stereo as well as mono.

21 Likes

St Germain Tourist / 2000 Blue Note / France 2 x CD Edition / 724353367107

13 Likes

The Rolling Stones - It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll, but i like it :+1:

21 Likes

Giving this another spin, on vinyl… :sunglasses: :notes: :+1:t3:

15 Likes

Lisa Batiashvili, City Lights. Rudfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin / Georgian Philharmonic Orchestra. Nikloz Rachveli, direction and pianist. DGG CD (2020)

Katie Melua, vocals
Till Brönner, trumpet
MIlos Karadalic, guitar
Maximilian Hornung, cello
Zurab Melua, guitar

I have a number of albums that stubbornly defy any attemps of classification, but this gem must be the absolute winner of the genre.

This concept album is a tour of world cities that, for a reason or another, have been important in Batiashvili’s career so far. She picked musical pieces that, in her mind, best describe the impact each city had on her. Batiashvili says she and the team spent two years on the project, which is rather rare these days. It also says a lot about¸her importance for Deutsche Grammophon’s executives.

The album features music from Charlie Chaplin, J-S Bach, Michel Legrand, Ennio Morricone, Antonin Dvorak, Astor Piazzolla, a song from Katie Melua, and the list goes on. The producers even used sound effects here and there à la Pink Floyd (sound from an early XXth Century movie projector, vinyl surface noise - complete with clicks and pops - crowd noise, etc.)

Batiashvili’s playing is her usual combination of technical mastery and emotion, and the two orchestras shine under Rachveli’s direction. The CD also features an interesting and beautiful 26-page booklet (a must-see, if only because Lisa Batiashvili is IMO one of the most photegenic artists of the classical music scene today).

Sound quality is DGG at their best, although too closely miked up to my taste at times.

LisaBatiashviliNikolozRach55626_f

Claude

4 Likes

On Vinyl:

Sounding magnificent on my freshly Karousel’d LP12

21 Likes

A day of North Yorkshire sunshine and all the doors and windows open so time to frighten the local sheep with this bunch of herberts.

Not exactly subtle, but ye gods it’s enjoyable.

IronMaiden_NumberOfBeast

9 Likes

Sounds fab in hi-res on Qobuz

11 Likes