What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

B.J. Thomas self titled album. Haven’t listened to much music at all over last couple of days. It is raining heavily this morning, my k9 friends don’t want to go out for their morning walk. Feel like listening to raindrops keep falling on my head. :relieved:

3 Likes

Despite the rain, I wish you a lovely day David :relaxed:

1 Like

Wel, well, well.

Daughter insisted on playing her mix in the car the other day, and an artist that cropped up again and again I’d never heard of was Marina and the Diamonds. I commented on several tracks sounding like things I enjoyed in my youth and later Gwen Stefani, Lene Lovich and many others - I enjoyed the tracks.

Seems she’s gone solo, this is a great pop album, up there with Dua Lipa’s latest album if not better. There is so much unheard talent out there, and so little time…

6 Likes

Likewise @anon23112058, thank you for all your music suggestions. I have many to catch up on. There’s never enough likes. :blush:

1 Like

I’d forgotten what a great album this is. Fish’s swansong with the band - and what a way to go out!

9 Likes

Thank you @Alley_Cat for a fresh dose of young material. :relaxed:

Reminds of the quote from Sergi Rachmaninov, “Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.”

Ps uncle google told me it’s from Sergi. I only knew the quote. Giving credit where it’s due. It’s a great quote. :+1:

I think I will try Marina and maybe play some Dua Lipa and start levitating. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s a really good album, must explore the back catalogue my daughter knows. I think if you like female vocalists generally it’s a good one.

1 Like

Now Playing…

Lizz Wright - Salt

Lizz Wright (Vocals), Brian Blade (Acoustic Guitar, Drums), Ron Carbone (Viola), Crystal Garner (Viola), Jeff Haynes (Percussion), Adam Rogers (Acoustic Guitar, Bottleneck Guitar, Electric Guitar), Myron Walden (Bass Clarinet, Alto Saxophone), Mark Shuman (Cello), Ellen Westermann (Cello), Sarah Adams (Viola), Caryl Paisner (Cello), Joe Kimura (Cello), Vincent Gardner (Trombone) Derrick Gardner, (Trumpet), Jon Cowherd (Piano, Fender Rhodes, Horn Arrangements, String Arrangements) Danilo Perez (Piano) Kenneth Banks (Piano, Hammond B3 Organ, Fender Rhodes), Sam Yahel (Hammond B3 organ), Doug Weiss (Acoustic Bass), Monte Croft (Mzarimba, Vibraphone) and Terreon Gully, (Drums).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this afternoon after finishing my exercise routine and sitting down and relaxing with Lizz’s ‘Salt’ album… and she and the band are sounding sublime! One very sweet album…

13 Likes

While I actually prefer Script and Fugazi for being very ‘raw’, this album has some of that with lots of clever subtleties. It resonated with me greatly in Univeristy with a very rudimentary hi-fi.

You either get Marillion or you don’t and I wasn’t bowled over by early Hogarth stuff, but the more I listen to the whole back catalogue there are so many good albums I’d take to a desert island.

5 Likes

13 Likes

I liked the early stuff and the first four or five albums post Fish, they lost the plot a bit after that IMV!

2 Likes

Just trying this out, not bad at all - thanks for the tip. Backing band are very tight! A mixture of Rock,pop, blues and soul. Not many artists can sing so many different styles with, well, style!
Cover of Nick Drake’s River Man makes my spine tingle big time!!

11 Likes

I thought a lot of the post Fish era was bland, there are a few standout albums such as This Strange Engine, and if you’ve never head this try it LOUD:

The huge conversion for me was their Albert Hall Concert “All one Tonight” which stats with a rendition of F.E.A.R , there are so many different styles here but it’s the most incredible concert video I’ve seen in a long time and the live version fo FEAR is I think better than the studio version.

I’d really urge you to have a look at it on YouTube/wherever as I think it made me understand Hogarth’s persona, humility and how he throws himself into the performance. Great visuals too.

I can’t find a video link but the songs are superb live:

If you have an Apple ID the video was about £8 a few years ago - stunning.

4 Likes

Thanks, I will have a listen to that! Fish certainly had a stage presence. I saw them on their first major tour. Some bands sound nothing like their studio stuff, marillion were VERY close to it.

3 Likes

Marina and the diamonds, Electra heart. The cover art doesn’t do enough justice to the fun beneath it. :notes::blush:

3 Likes

…her original style was gospel since her father was a minister and musical director. She played piano and sang and got interested in Jazz and the rest is history… Check out her catalogue, she is quite enjoyable…

I’ve already had a look on qobuz and flagged quite a number of albums to dip into. She has a very natural unforced voice - very nice!

1 Like

Now playing…

John Mayer - Paradise Valley

John Mayer (Vocals, Guitar, Horn), Zane Carney (Guitar), Lisa Fischer (Vocals), Bernard Fowler (Vocals), Paul Franklin (Pedal Steel), Gary Grant (Flugelhorn), David Ryan Harris](Vocals), Dan Higgins (Flute, Tenor Saxophone), Sean Hurley (Bass), Rami Jaffee (Keyboards), Chuck Leavell (Keyboards), Frank Ocean (Vocals, Wurlitzer), William Frank “Bill” Reichenbach Jr. (Bass Trombone, Tenor Trombone), Aaron Sterling (Drums, Percussion) and Larry Williams (Flute, Horn, Tenor saxophone).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on this afternoon with John after and he and the band is sounding mighty sweet and has the toes tapping! …a fun album and is bringing on a big smile.

6 Likes

Ry Cooper, the prodigal son. Shrinking man, I should be a shrinking man but I have expanded during the stupid Covid year and lockdown. Doh!

14 Likes

Following the excellent tip from @seakayaker now listening to this - fabulous

10 Likes