What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

A truly spectacular Speakers Corner vinyl pressing…

15 Likes

Continuing my theme of listening to albums that tend to sit on the shelf. Again, wondering why! Enjoying it very much

19 Likes

Frank Zappa | Hot Rats | 1969
FZ’s easy access album that I’ve loved for over 50 years, it drew me in to all his subsequent music, some of which can take a lot of getting. :sunglasses:

15 Likes

6 Likes

Great choice for today, Satori :+1:

<>

Happy Birthday Sir Ray Davies! :balloon: :balloon: :birthday:

born at 6 Denmark Terrace, north London on 21st June 1944 :uk:

77 years old Today! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :+1:

12 Likes

On CD:-

Wishbone Ash - Argus

17 Likes

Three Dog Night - It Ain’t Easy

After a remarkable string of hits through 1969, Three Dog Night released It Ain’t Easy, its fourth album in less than 18 months. Once again, it was a hot seller, going to number eight. Once again, it consisted primarily of songs written by some of rock music’s best, but as yet unheralded, composers. And this time, the group had its first number one hit, a memorable version of Randy Newman’s fear-of-partying song “Mama Told Me (Not to Come).” Although much more melodramatic than Newman’s own understated take on his 12 Songs album, Three Dog Night’s rendering was cleverly orchestrated and impossible to escape. It Ain’t Easy also included another Newman composition, “Cowboy,” the song he’d written for Midnight Cowboy, which was rejected by the filmmakers in favor of Fred Neil’s “Everybody’s Talkin’.” The album also provided a taste of Free with “Woman,” Paul Williams’ attractive “Out in the Country,” and a Cynthia Weil-Barry Mann composition, “Good Time Living.” The Elton John classic “Your Song” makes its first appearance on this album as well, predating his own recorded version by several months. Considering how dependent Three Dog Night was on outside songsmiths to provide them with the material they popularized, it is surprising that none of the album jackets of their first four albums contained printed writing credits. The curious listener had to look to the labels on the records in order to track down who had written these first-rate compositions.

11 Likes

Cool live album! :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

The Jam - All Mod Cons

11 Likes

Second mostly unplayed Stones album I’ve listened to tonight and loving it. Who needs a Solstice! My ‘Fruitbox’ (to coin the Kevster’s phrase) sounds incredible this evening!

12 Likes

2 x LP - Reprise 2018 : )

Neil Young – vocals, guitar, piano, harmonica
Ben Keith – pedal steel guitar, slide guitar, vocals
Nils Lofgren – piano, guitar, vocals
Billy Talbot – bass
Ralph Molina – drums, vocals

Recorded September 20–22, 1973 at Roxy Theatre, Sunset Strip, Los Angeles
Album Released on 24th April 2018

<>

Happy Birthday Nils Lofgren! :birthday: :balloon: :balloon:

born in Chicago on 21st June 1951 :us:

70 years old Today! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :+1:

17 Likes

Another of the Birds Nest 2020 centennial pressings (on translucent yellow vinyl, in case anyone’s interested).

8 Likes

Cum On Feel The Noize!

15 Likes

The Blues Brothers - (Music From The Soundtrack), CD rip.

18 Likes

Kate Bush - Never for Ever.

23 Likes

3 Likes

One of THE great live albums, as one would expect from Rock’s First Lady Of Leather, the only downside being a slightly underpowered version of “Can The Can”. Otherwise, this RSD white vinyl (first time on vinyl in the UK) double LP rocks!

11 Likes

Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session, CD rip. Now, this is a live album!

17 Likes

Richie Havens- Stonehenge
So slowly working my way through the albums recently given to me by a friend and thought today might be the best day to give this a spin

3 Likes

Now playing…

Dobet Gnahoré - Couleur

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/24)… a mention in the ‘Guardian’s best albums of 2021 so far’ thread by @james_n had me place this in the queue and now taking out for a spin. Opening tracks are fabulous and look forward to the rest of the album and exploring her catalogue! Sounding mighty sweet…

5 Likes