What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Tony Allen on Blue Note

The Source (Blue Note 2LP)

Nice Funk and Jazz grooves underpinned by Tony Allen’s fine Afrobeat drum style. Recorded live to analogue tape.

Tribute To Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers (Blue Note 10" LP)

What it says, Tony Allen Afrobeat interpretations of Blakey.
Blakey

Also recorded live to analogue tape.

Enjoyed the first side at 33 then remembered its a 45, sounds great either way :joy:

:heart:

10 Likes

Does that version have Crabsody In Blue, a dodgy song about pubic critters. I used to have an early pressing with it but I think it was removed from subsequent editions.
Maybe one for one of our Aussie members, @Pete_the_painter ?

1 Like

Altered Five Blues Band - Charmed & Dangerous

8 Likes

Zep IV
CD rip
Looks like they may have discovered who this famous chap is? Original photo from Led Zeppelin IV album cover discovered - BBC News

25 Likes

Its missing from this version, can’t remember if it was on my vinyl copy, don’t think it was to be honest.

1 Like

I linked it to the full story here earlier. :+1:

1 Like

The Jeff Lorber Fusion The Jeff Lorber Fusion / 2008 Wounded Bird / US CD / WOU1026

4 Likes

Fancied listening to some rock. Yes, that will do.

24 Likes

Keith Hudson. Pick a dub.
Just time to play this before I get tea going.
Cd rip.

If it’s not finished in time I might have to crank up the volume so I can still hear it in the kitchen.

6 Likes

Thanks for this. It reminded me of a collection of theirs. Such hard words wrapped in soft melodies

11 Likes

Binker & Moses - Dem Ones (Gearbox LP 2015)

Binker Golding & Moses Boyd excellent 2015 debut at Gearbox records, just Tenor & Drum improvisations recorded live to analogue and cut direct from the tape.
Both Binker Golding & Moses Boyd whether togethor or in their various individual projects have gone on to be, and still are imo, two of the leading lights in the fresh UK Jazz scene (2015 fresh, blimey already!)

:heart:

4 Likes

Classic album, Keith Hudson was aka “the ghetto dentist” dont you know, he did the Red Gold Green inlays in Big Youth’s teeth.
Just a bit of reggie trivia for ya
:+1:

2 Likes

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band- Acoustic from c.1994. A random selection from the rack.

US west coast vibe (not Eagles-like though), described as country rock, often with folky overtones. Well worth a listen IMHO. 5* on Amazon reviews, so can’t be bad!

7 Likes

Alice Cooper - Killer - CD

17 Likes

A good album it’s a pity it is so compressed and brickwalled. Same with distance over time. I recently got the blu ray hi res version of this and it is so much better.

Enjoying on CD - Tangerine Dream Exit

12 Likes

Has to be one of the greatest live rock albums ever!

28 Likes

Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds - 1962

Great when you stumble on a new jazz album you really like. This is going on Santa’s vinyl shopping list.

9 Likes

Deep Purple

Machine Head

Edward

21 Likes

Now playing…

Cowboy Junkies - Sharon

Margo Timmins (Vocals), Peter Timmins (Drums), Michael Timmins (Guitars), Jaro Czerwinec (Accordion), Alan Anton (Bass), Jeff Bird (Mandolin, Harmonica, Fiddle), Kim Deschamps (Pedal Steel Guitar, Lap Steel Guitar) and David Houghton (Percussion).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/24)… kicking off the day with the Cowboy Junkies ‘Sharon’ album and Margo and the band are sounding sublime!

14 Likes