What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Joining in with the Fire! Orchestra love, and their latest album Echoes on double CD.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s in the post…sounds great (on my phone) :laughing:

1 Like

Lemon Jelly Lemonjelly.ky / 2000 XL Recordings / UK CD / IFXLCD139

Sunday morning quirky but excellent music.

6 Likes

Nice review, Kev. Spot on.

I’ve also just ordered a couple of their earlier albums, the Penderecki one and Exit.

Great stuff.

2 Likes

Another one from the same quartet

10 Likes

If you’ve not heard it, the Takács Quartet’s version of the Bartók String Quartets are highly praised.

2 Likes

Berlin Philharmonic. Vinyl. Just lovely.

13 Likes

Brisk start for Sunday morning listening to The Hives’ new album. Will be mowing lawn with gusto after this:

3 Likes

Anna St. Louis - In The Air.
“American songwriter Anna St. Louis takes notes from a wide spectrum of classic folk and country artists when forming her dusty, wistful sound, but sculpts those inspirations into something uniquely her own.”

3 Likes

Beautiful recording of some very powerful ‘jazz’. Towns has travelled a long way since Gillan. CD rip.

Lost interest in the Dan’s later stuff after Aja failed to light my candle, but thought I’d give this a try. Enjoying it, so far. Annoying that Qobuz labels it High Res. when it’s actually 44.1/16, though.

19 Likes

French percussionist and trumpeter collaborate to create a “world jazz” album. Mino Cinelu and Nils Petter Molvaer respectively. Enjoying very much with Sunday papers and coffee

2 Likes

Rip from a German import cd which includes bonus tracks, including from the ‘Got Live if You Want it’ EP. Nice sounding mono recordings.

G

9 Likes

Interesting how people hear things differently; I consider Aja to be their magnum opus and pinnacle and a perfect album. But as is said here, not infrequently, “Horses for courses.”

3 Likes

It all seemed to get a bit too serious but Babylon Sisters is a gorgeous song for me.

2 Likes

But, but, but…:wink:

14 Likes

That is a fair argument; I think the first side of Royal Scam is their best overall side and is a perfect album side, but the second side is not as good (while still being great, mind you.)

But they are an amazing band, and I love almost everything they’ve done, even as their sound evolved through the years.

3 Likes

Pretzel Logic is their peak for me. The last album where the song (all played to perfection by what still feels like a band & covering a range of styles) was more important than the studio construction of the songs.

4 Likes

Same. Love Pretzel

Aja…bit too studio slick and, um, ‘audiophile’ for me to love it. As said, horses…

Maybe I’ll one day come to love Aja, but it ain’t happened yet.

3 Likes

I agree, their darkest album. My absolute fave.

7 Likes