What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Bedtime tunes: Coltrane - Blue Train

…to be followed by Soultane

10 Likes

25 Likes

Not heard that for years. On the list for tomorrow, thanks for the reminder. :+1:

1 Like

Haven’t heard this for 40 years.

Still kicks ass.

11 Likes

You should listen to Nina Hagen’s version. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson - YUI Orta

6 Likes

I have no idea what she’s singing but it sounds like she’s serious about it.

A harder rock sound, without the climatic crescendo, rather a sudden explosion at the end.

2 Likes

Just noticed a 3rd version on Qobuz:

Quite a one-dimensional, monotone rendition, lacking the exuberant energy and mischievousness of The Tubes.

Two great albums!:sunglasses:

7 Likes

What year did you buy them?

I had my entire record collection (and drum kit and hifi) nicked when I was at university in 1986.

Also, I think a roofer nicked my singles that were stored in my garage a few years ago, including a white vinyl copy of The Tubes ‘White Punks on Dope’ as a well as a special edition of The Beatles ‘Magical Mystery Tour’.

15 Likes

On release in 75 and 82. I’m a little older than you.:sunglasses:

2 Likes

One of the great and most underrated bands of all time.

2 Likes

What’s their best album?

Tough question - What Do You Want From Live would probably be my pick, although the self-titled debut is also a strong contender, and I also really like Now, Young and Rich, and Remote Control…Now being, I think, a rather unique offering in their catalog.

I hated Love Bomb, and Completion Backwards Principle is OK, but the tune Talk To Ya Later is superb, with Steve Lukather and Fee Waybill doing the entire song alone, so it wasn’t really even a Tubes song at first, although later Roger Steen learned all the guitar parts and they played it live. And Prairie Prince is a great drummer, at least in my opinion.

2 Likes

Strange their missing,when there on the Blu-ray and cd’s ?

1 Like

Thank you.

I only had that one single by The Tubes.

I will have a listen.

Mine too - one of the best live albums.

Young and Rich - well I thank you.

That’s our guitarist Roger Steen.

1 Like

Very strange indeed. I thought it might be a copyright issue with Wendy Carlos - not a lot of her stuff around.

I could do a cut paste and splice job in Audacity from my old CDs - once upon time I would have done that.

1 Like

Bonnie “Prince” Billy - Keeping Secrets Will Destroy You

We haven’t had a solo album from Bonnie “Prince” Billy for a few years.

This is pretty much an acoustic album, accompanied by the beautiful voice of Dane Waters. (Note to myself to check her out - Bandcamp).

One of the best songwriters around today.

IMG_7908

9 Likes

Vince Gill

Souvenirs

Edward

7 Likes