What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Now playing…

Gary Burton - Picture This

Gary Burton (Vibraharp), Jim Odgren (Alto Saxophone), Mike Hyman (Drums) and Steve Swallow (Bass Guitar).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… kicking off this bright and sunny Wednesday morning with the Gary Burton Quartet’s ‘Picture This’ and Gary, Jim, Mike and Steve are sounding sublime! A fine and fun album that gets the toes tapping and instantly lifts up the spirit… Life is Sweet!

7 Likes

Probably for the best. He’s a difficult bloke to like for sure.

1 Like

Ryan Adams, Ten Songs From Live At Carnegie Hall, 2015.

61Anc3ZA6UL.SL1500

11 Likes

Kacy & Clayton – The Siren’s Song
CD|2017

Folk. Nice listen.

4 Likes

Afternoon all.
Lynyrd Skynyrd followed by The Allman Brothers Band.

Just had my SBL crossovers serviced and straight from the off it’s made a great difference, highs are more ‘sharp’ without squealing (not that they did before) & percussion sounds really good. This time I’ve let the crossovers ‘hang’. This alone made putting them back on so much easier as they’re very hard up against the wall & I didn’t really want to move them.
I was told a couple of the capacitors were leaking so not sure if that effected the sound, I guess so!
Anyway back to the listdning!

20 Likes

Some more easy listening, but in the best possible taste!

The Ben Webster Quintet - Soulville (Speakers Corner/Verve)

Lovely warm and…well Soulful playing on this 1957 album sounding great on this Speakers Corner LP
Ben Webster, Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown, Herb Ellis (who’s guitar playing I always enjoy especially his Nothing But The Blues album) and Stan Levey

Say no more, you know it makes sense!

:heart:

7 Likes

Holds up well, still sounding fresh and ‘modern’. The Qobuz hires files sound better than my rips of the original CD’s.

G

15 Likes

Up next…

Another lovely Speakers Corner/Verve job
Herb Ellis with Roy Eldridge, Stan Getz, Ray Brown & Stan Levey

From the same year (1957) I think as Soulville, my last post

7 Likes

Jonesing for a bit of live soulful blues rock.
Cue Beth Hart - Front & Center (Live from New York) on red vinyl.

6 Likes

Getting in the mood for Blues Club at a local boozer. If it’s a tenth as good as this it’ll be a good night. The beer and the craic are always good.

10 Likes

That’s a super album. What a great (huge) sax sound he has.

1 Like

I thought you was saying something else there for a moment til I found my glasses :joy:

Most definitely huge, and beautiful too

Blooz n Booz…might get messy!

Reminds me of a booze fuelled night with RL Burnside in a tiny little venue above a boozer in Brighton many moons back…

1 Like

Rhiannon Giddens - You’re the One
CD|2023

Arrived in today’s mail. Due out this Friday. On the first song, a departure from her previous albums. Looking forward to the rest of the album.

3 Likes

13 Likes

Now playing…

Jakob Bro | Joe Lovano - Once Around The Room: A Tribute to Paul Motian

Jakob Bro (Guitar), Joe Lovano (Tenor Saxophone, Tarogato), Larry Grenadier (Double Bass), Thomas Morgan (Double Bass), Anders Christensen (Bass Guitar), Joey Baron (Drums) and Jorge Rossy (Drums).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on this morning with Jakob< Joe along with a fantastic group of talented musicians, and they are sounding sublime!

8 Likes

One of the best, if not my favourite, live albums from the Dame. Returns me to the two Isolar II concerts I attended.

17 Likes

Sorry if this is a daft question…why is he sometimes referred too as Dame?

J.J. Cale, Roll On, 2009.

15 Likes

342 times by my reckoning :rofl:

4 Likes