What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Many of mine are science fiction, that I have accumulated since I was a teenager. I have acquired very few (1 or2) books since boxing the others up. I just don’t read much nowadays, and we just don’t have the space to keep them (as well as 1800 or so records, a few hundred CD’s). You get the picture…

3 Likes

Now playing…

Katie Melua - Love & Money

Katie Melua (Vocals), Leo Abrahams (Guitar, Keyboards, Piano), Sam Dixon (Bass), Chester Kamen , (Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar), Philipp Poisel (Featured Artist), Martin Slattery (Electric Piano), Emma Smith (Violin), Alex Toff (Drums), Chris Vatalaro (Drums, Percussion), Phil Wilkinson (Shaker), Jeremy Warmsley (Organ, Piano) and Tobias Kuhn (Flute Samples).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/24)… kicking off this Tuesday morning with the beautiful voice and songs from Katie and along with the talented musicians working with her, they are sounding sublime! A lovely way to ease into the day…

6 Likes

On vinyl: one of Calexico’s finest releases, Feast Of Wire.

9 Likes

Still blows me away when I hear this and the red album and realise yet again that they did all this in 8 years…it felt much longer at the time, like they’d always been there.

5 Likes

Guess we have three thousand books around the place, but I am a Kindle convert now. We used to take an extra suitcase on holiday, just for the books, now I take my whole library in my carry-on. Still buy the odd “coffee table” tome, but I really do prefer my Kindle for everyday reading. I thought streaming would prove to be the musical equivalent, but as I’ve just bought a CDT, I guess I’m not quite there yet!

3 Likes

Mrs Plane’s favourite band.

steve

1 Like

Why? Beauty.

steve

10 Likes

Sadly nearly all my early SciFi paperbacks are gone now. Asimov, Clark, Heinlein et al, all passed to the various charity outlets.
I still have nearly all of my Hardbacks, including my very precious Frank Herbert collection.
We too read mostly on kindle now, but I still by the many books, mostly hardbacks and the odd coffee table tome… :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t believe a reason for playing this is required… :blush:

21 Likes

Carbon Based Lifeforms - Seeker

Peter Gabriel - So.
I keep underestimating this album and yet, every time I play it, it delivers.

30 Likes

Mrs Wobbles doesn’t like them much, but I dragged her along to see them once. :grinning:

1 Like

Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit - Weathervanes. Latest excellent album from Jason and his band.

7 Likes

Bob Dylan - Fragments Bootleg Series Vol 17

Time Out of Mind produced by Daniel Lanois was a great album but the remix minus the Lanoisnosification is just amazing.

The Dylan people do a great job on the bootleg series pretty much deliver what the fan wants at a very reasonable price.

IMG_7942

14 Likes

Now playing…

John Mellencamp - Orpheus Descending

John Mellencamp (Vocals, Guitar), Marianelly Agosto (Narrator), Dane Clark (Drums, Percussion, Vocals), Lisa Germano (Violin, Vocals), Troye Kinnett (Harmonica, Keyboards, Percussion, Vocals) and Andrew York (Bass, Guitar, Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on this Tuesday morning with John’s latest release, June 1st, and he and the band are sounding sublime! One fine album…

7 Likes

Traffic - Mr Fantasy

11 Likes

Much anticipated new album from Burning Spear, just out a couple of days ago. Streaming on Qobuz, I guess LP, beer mats will follow not seen anything yet

:heart:

7 Likes

https://youtu.be/EFpIz0RQU9c

Just listened to the new single from OMD - Bauhaus Staircase over on YouTube hopefully there is a link above

IMG_1129

4 Likes

Eurythmics - Touch.

19 Likes

51NhK94GYEL.AC_UY436_QL65

The Strolling Bones at Roundhay Park, Leeds, Sunday 25.07.82.

1. Take the “A” Train
  2. Under My Thumb
  3. When the Whip Comes Down
  4. Let’s Spend the Night Together
  5. Shattered
  6. Neighbours
  7. Black Limousine
  8. Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
  9. Twenty Flight Rock
  10. Going to a Go-Go
  11. Let Me Go
  12. Time Is on My Side
  13. Beast of Burden
  14. You Can’t Always Get What You Want
  15. Little T&A
  16. Angie
  17. Tumbling Dice
  18. She’s So Cold
  19. Hang Fire
  20. Miss You
  21. Honky Tonk Women
  22. Brown Sugar
  23. Start Me Up
  24. Jumpin’ Jack Flash
  25. (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction

What an afternoon, and at the end, we were all just wandering off back up the hill, heading for the nearest pub, when on came … … … … … George Thorogood and the Destroyers, absolutely belting it out with “House of Blue Lights” … … … … cancel my last, turn back round and resume boogieing.

Epic!

13 Likes