What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Guy Clark - Dublin Blues - CD

Following in the Guy Clark grove, this from 1995

4 Likes

Now playing…

John Mellencamp - Strictly A One-Eyed Jack

John Mellencamp (Acoustic Guitar, Vocals), Bruce Springsteen (Electric Guitar, Vocals), Dane Clark (Drums, Percussion), John Gunnell (Bass), Troye Kinnett (Accordion, Harmonica, Organ, Piano), Merritt Lear (Violin, Vocals), Miriam Sturm (Violin), Joey Tartell (Trumpet) andAndy York (Autoharp, Banjo, Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Vocals)

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… kicking off this morning with John and he and the band are sounding sublime! This album from 2022 and his 2023 ‘Orpheus Descending’ are both outstanding…,

10 Likes

Had a Beth afternoon whilst digging out the vase for the new oil tank

Better Than Home

Live in Amsterdam

Just finishing off the horses with War on My Mind

2 Likes

:scream:
Actually I sort of understand. I saw them live at Birmingham town hall 1970 and walked out in the first half hour but later suspected I’d made big mistake.
Didn’t like Forever changes when I bought originally on vinyl. It took a long time before it clicked but now one of my all time favourites.

Rush - 2112.
The one that started my very long love affair with this Canadian trio.

13 Likes

Blondie - Parallel Lines
On Vinyl

33 Likes

It was “A Farewell To Kings” for me, but 2112 became my favourite fairly early on.

4 Likes

It Bites - Live In London

This is a limited edition 5-CD set which was released after Richard Nolan realised there was a large enough demand. I was reminded of It Bites after @AlanJ mentioned Francis Dunnery’s Man in his list of ten most frequently played albums. I was just about to play Once Around The World, but then saw this. Currently playing the third disc, which starts the OATW tour - Kiss Like Judas is rocking!

Edit: I was just about to post this and the censor stopped it - even though Richard Nolan has always been known by the abbreviated form of his name beginning with D, but sounding like Rick, apparently that’s not permitted. How pathetic is that?!

2 Likes

It was the first of their’s I heard and I’ve been a fan ever since.

steve

1 Like

Now playing…

Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue

Patricia Barber (Piano, Vocals), Michael Arnopol (Bass), John McLean (Guitar) and Mark Walker (Drums, Percussion).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this morning with Patricia, fantastic vocals and music, just love this album and the music is sublime! …one sweet album.

11 Likes

Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell - Old Yellow Moon - CD -2013

Following on from Guy Clark, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell who both appear on the Dublin Blues Album.

16 Likes

Fantastic band and Frank is a great tunesmith.

When he left the band, the remaining members formed Sister Sarah with the keyboard player taking lead vocals. They were a superb live band, played the YMCA in Chelmsford and blew the roof off.

Many years later saw Frank link up with Chris Difford for a wonderful acoustic gig at Colchester Arts Centre.

1 Like

Slade - Slayed, on a nice German first pressing that actually sounds better than my UK first pressing.

Oasis pinched so much from Slade, it’s almost comical!

18 Likes

Excellent! I’ve seen FD more than 20 times throughout his long career. I saw Chris Difford one time at the CKDCF charity weekend at Egremont (Frank’s original home town). I think that might have been the same time that Steve Nardelli was there performing as The Syn (without Chris Squire).

2 Likes

Sasha & John Digweed – Renaissance: The Mix Collection - 2004
CD rip

Remaster of the 1994 classic, was it THAT long ago?? The early days of dance music starting to feel like 50’s music when I was a kid, kind of disappearing below the horizon. My kids find it quite ‘quaint’ though :rofl:

1 Like

Why this was never released before 2023 I’ll never understand. Utterly brilliant album. Sounds good too

14 Likes

Original Factory Records pressing from 1985! Vini Reilly from Durutti Column, Andy Connell from ACR and others guest.

5 Likes

Prince and the Revolution - Purple Rain.

26 Likes

Lionel Richie

Back To Front

Edward

9 Likes

After watching the film “Northern Soul” on Beeb 2 last night, all the Lambretta touring / Soul grooving memories came flooding back, and though I’m clearly old enough to know better, it could only be this, tonight.

51oO7AeuDOL.AC-2

8 Likes