What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Mozart Piano Quartets

The lineup is something of a supergroup of rising soloists - the violinist Francesca Dego, violist Timothy Ridout, cellist Laura van der Heijden and pianist Federico Colli. Together they are as balanced a team as one could ask for, Ridout’s viola singing out as warmly and almost as brightly as Dego’s violin so that their exchanges are ideally weighted. The playing is imaginative and detailed; repeated sections are never done the same way twice, and the four play off each other in adding the odd ornament or decoration. There’s no real star: this is real chamber music.

11 Likes

21 Likes

Carmen Mcrae
Live at birdland west.
Fine and Mellow.
Very fine album. But…most of the time I skip the first track.

4 Likes

Yep, that’s due a play. Great album.

1 Like

Yes, it was really overdue. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Roger Daltrey - Daltrey - CD

Final one tonight for me.

11 Likes

The Reds, Pinks & Purples - The Town That Cursed Your Name (2023)

Jangly and defiantly indie from San Francisco that sounds a little like the Magnetic Fields meets The Smiths. They’ve become favourites at Bhoyo Manor in the past couple of years. I also love the photography on their album covers.

2 Likes

Now onto the new box set. Fabulous sound shame about the dreadful paper sleeves (they’ve been replaced). That aside some wonderful music and very happy with it. This is the first album from it

14 Likes

s-l500
The Very Best Of Joan Armatrading.

17 Likes

A three-CD box set collating together the production work members of New Order did in the 1980s and beyond. Be Music was NO’s publishing company when they were on Factory, and was a pseudonym Bernard (often working with ACR’s Donald Johnson, AKA DoJo), Hooky and Steve and Gillian (S&G together) used when working outside the group. Ian Curtis even sat in the producer’s chair once, with JD/NO manager Rob.

Disc 1

1. Quando Quango Love Tempo – BS/DoJo
  2. Marcel King Reach For Love – BS – DoJo
  3. 52nd Street Cool As Ice – BS/DoJo
  4. Section 25 Looking From A Hilltop – BS/DoJo
  5. Nyam Nyam Fate/Hate – Hooky
  6. The Beat Club Security (Remix) – BS
  7. Paul Haig The Only Truth – BS/DoJo
  8. Shark Vegas You Hurt Me – BS/DoJo
  9. Marcel King Keep On Dancin – BS/DoJo
  10. Section 25 Reflection – BS
  11. Quando Quango Tingle – DoJo
  12. Surprize Over Italia – BS/DoJo

Disc 2

1. 52nd Street Can’t Afford – S&G
  2. Thick Pigeon Babcock + Wilcox – S&G
  3. A Certain Ratio Bootsy (Swingfire Mix) – S&G
  4. Factory Floor (Real Love) – Steve
  5. Section 25 Another Hilltop – Steve
  6. The Other Two Inside – S&G
  7. Marnie The Hunter (Remix) – Steve
  8. Fujiya & Miyagi Daggers (Remix) – Steve
  9. Tim Burgess Oh Men (Remix) – S&G
  10. Factory Floor A Wooden Box (Remix) – Steve
  11. Life Tell Me – Steve
  12. Life Tell Me (Theme) – Steve

Disc 3

1. Peter Hook Lavolta Lokota Theme – Hooky
  2. Section 25 Knew Noise – Ian Curtis/Rob Gretton
  3. Stockholm Monsters All At Once – Hooky
  4. Royal Family & the Poor Motherland – Hooky
  5. Winston Tong Theoretical China – Steve
  6. The Beat Club Security (Dub) - BS
  7. Marcel King Reach For Love (US Remix) – BS/DoJo
  8. Thick Pigeon Jess + Bart (Remix) – S&G
  9. Red Turns To Deep Sleep – S&G
  10. Ad Infinitum Telstar – Hooky
  11. Section 25 Sakura – Hooky
  12. New Order Video 5-8-6 – BS/Steve

This is a great compilation. There are a couple of bangers missing, such as the DoJo-produced “Art on 45” by Royal Family & The Poor" and Quando Quango’s “Tingle” and “Go Exciting”, the BS/DoJo disco monster “Express” by 52nd Street, with its huge synth farts generated by Bernard’s new Emulator, and the BS-helmed “Gangsters Of Love” by Shark Vegas. But the two best Be Music productions, Marcel King’s wonderful “Reach For Love” and 52nd Street’s club monster “Cool As Ice” is there.

Compiler James Nice even included all 22 minutes of “Video 586” by New Order, an austere piece of avant-garde electronica created by Steve and Bernard in early 1982 on an Apple II computer. It’s a direction I wish NO had explored much more.

10 Likes

Wasn’t it great when these ‘sampler’ albums were the price of a bag of chips?

8 Likes

Brilliant I had this record - a wonderful EG label sampler.

3 Likes

Not aware of this release - thanks @TheKevster
Is it on CD or Qobuz or is it one of those things that’s now almost impossible to get hold of?

Answered my own question - found it on the river and hmv

Thanks again

1 Like

@SimonDC – you can get the three-CD version for just £20 post free from the Factory Benelux dot com website.

The 2-LP version isn’t as comprehensive and has been deleted.

1 Like

Yes found and ordered - it’s surprising even though you try and keep tabs on certain artists that little things slip through - so again thanks really appreciate that.
Joy Division are one of my favourite bands and although they only managed 2 proper albums I still feel like it’s the first time I’ve heard certain tracks - apart from LWTUA. NEW ORDER took on the mantle but have gone too far into pop for me anyway! Love seeing Hooky but wish he try doing some new stuff of his own :pray:

3 Likes

Neil Young - Sleeps With Angels

From 1994 with Crazy Horse contains the track Safeway Cart which just might be my favourite Neil Young song.

18 Likes

Decided to put this on - Joy Divisions “3rd” album

12 Likes

IMG_1169

It took me a long time to appreciate The Cure. ‘A Forest’ made me completely rethink them and in later years ‘Friday I’m in Love’ became a track that helped me through some sad and awkward times.

I’ve not listened to this live album before. I absolutely love it.

9 Likes

Buckethead - Bucketheadland

The first of over 400 albums from the maestro.

On release Guitar World credited the album as “ushering in a new era of virtuosity” in electric guitar playing.

Produced by Bootsy Collins.

IMG_7948

4 Likes

It was always the Hassell/Eno Delta Rain Dream that stood out for me. A good prompt to dig out their 1980 Fourth World album …

3 Likes