What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

An excellent album, from one of the best violinists out there.

7 Likes

Bob Dylan - Slow Train Coming - CD

18 Likes

Sorry to hear your news @GeoffC . Best wishes to you and the family.

2 Likes

I was delighted to see that this is available on Qobuz. I was really keen to hear the Peel session version of Daydream, which, it turns out, is not that different to the studio version. Still, I’ve now played back to back versions four times in a row. Great song. It’s hard to see why Trower never attracted the same appeal as say Clapton, Beck or Page.

1 Like

The Beatles - Help! - CD Stereo Box Set.

Back to the fab 4

26 Likes

Miles Davis Quintet Miles Smiles / 1998 Columbia / Austria CD / CK65682

Miles Davis Trumpet
Herbie Hancock Piano
Wayne Shorter Tenor Saxophone
Ron Carter Bass
Tony Williams Drums

First full play of this recent addition to the collection.

17 Likes

Nils Frahm - Felt

Lunchtime piano.

6 Likes

Robin Trower - Live

I blame @Steve_S. Probably his second best album after Bridge of Sighs.

12 Likes

George Michael, ladies & gentlemen, the best of. :smiling_face:

16 Likes

Love - Forever Changes

Several people here have said they don’t see what all the fuss is about with this one. Here’s why it’s special for me:

It was the late Sixties; I was 11, maybe 12, when a mate and I called on a girl from school who never gave me the time of day, then or later. She and some friends were at home playing Forever Changes, which her big brother had recently bought. It might have been fine for the cool kids, but it was way beyond me. However, something must have registered in my pre-teen brain, possibly not unconnected to the girl who was playing it. A year or so later, I heard it again, and was swept away by nostalgic magic and what I now thought was spectacular music. And all these decades later, it still sounds magical and spectacular.

But maybe you needed to be a lovestruck 12-year-old to feel the same way.

30 Likes

Cracking debut. Well recorded. Still sounds wonderfully quirky. What a great time that was for music.

25 Likes

I’m one of those who doesn’t see what all the fuss is about, but I’ve given you a ‘like’ for the story. I’m sure many of us have had similar experiences. When I was at school one day a friend I used to ride home with on the bus had just bought four Status Quo albums. He, like me, was a Yes fan, so this seemed rather out of character. It turns out he’d met a girl who said she liked the Quo, so he’d had to buy the albums because he’d told her that he liked them too!

3 Likes

The Kinks - Something Else - 1967

Had to give the full album a play after Waterloo Sunset came up randomly whilst decorating this weekend. Some songs are famous for good reason, and I had never really listened closely to the lyrics before and realised how wonderful they are.

18 Likes

Always nice to read a good “why” .

2 Likes

Listening to this. Why?

Well I have had a full on Jazz day today so I blindly dipped into the CD collection. This popped out. This was when JB was still inventive and fresh ( as much as you can being a bluesman). He still had a great band in Carmine, Bogie and Anton.
Oh…and Mountain Time is just off the charts.

Off to the train station soon to get to West London to see the mighty Fulham FC see off the Spuds in the Carabao Cup.
Yes, unlikely I know but…

10 Likes

Ha! I probably would have done the same. I did try bluffing once with Jethro Tull, but the girl saw right through me.

Meshell Ndegeocello. Ventriloquism. 2018.

Cover set filled with an affectionate appreciation rather than a pastiche of 70s/80s/90s soul, and R&B.
Nice.

3 Likes

Yep! Like that JB … and I reckon you are in with a shout tonight :grinning:

2 Likes

Dave Valentin Musical Portraits / 1992 GRP / Austria CD / GRP96642

I haven’t played this is quite a while and had forgotten how good it is, especially Firecracker.

3 Likes

First full listen to this and I must say it’s sounding really rather good

John Mellencamp - Orpheus Decending

7 Likes