What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

A great ‘Close eyes and imagine album’

G

22 Likes

Book of the Week on BBC R4

A New York carpenter reflects on the fame, wealth and beauty of some of his clients, gentrification, and creativity in the later stages of his successful working life. Really nicely read too.

5 Likes

What a find - that Andrew Hill album is excellent.

1 Like

I think this is such a wonderful album. Perhaps not as famous as some of Mingus’s output but I love it.

8 Likes

Perhaps not…Jazz Fusion as we know it.

1 Like

@Collywobbles interesting I bought my copy on first release in 1986 and it had this label.

6 Likes

So did mine. You caught me out, I nicked the image.

1 Like

Ah! thank goodness that has been bugging me for a few days - somehow that label just didn’t look right.

Case solved.

2 Likes

David Bowie - Bowie At The Beeb - CD

20 Likes

This is lovely. The Northumbrian pipes have such a lovely tone. Out this week and well reviewed in paper today

3 Likes

Blondie - Parallel Lines
The Police - Ghost in the Machine

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend :smiling_face:

24 Likes

Paul Lawler, aka Arcana, aka Max Von Richter. Year Zero. CD 1997. Melodic Electronic stuff. One of my wife’s, but good.

“Lawler started playing music in the brass band at a young age , playing euphonium . When he joined the Leyland DAF band at the age of sixteen he was the youngest member. In 1997 he started as a composer of film scores for the BBC . He played on a project basis with the Hallé Orchestra .” WIKI.

2 Likes

Wilco’s recently released track, “Evicted” has me hoping for a return to their early 2000’s form which I loved. Their recent albums have left me cold.

1 Like

Brilliant album - I caught the tour when they were in Perth, WA in '89 and it remains one of the best concerts I’ve experienced.

1 Like

Lynyrd Skynyrd. Edge of Forever. CD. One of their better 2nd generation albums imho.

Edge of Forever is the tenth studio album by Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd. Released in 1999, it is the last album to feature Leon Wilkeson before his death in 2001.” WIKI.

8 Likes

There is a great live recording on Qobuz - a bit too good in my opinion as the quality is too clear which leaves this (live) recording a tad sterile.

6 Likes

Man could sure play.

2 Likes

It’s the closest he’s come to releasing new The The material in years … I’ll never stop hoping for another album (or three) of new material and the ultimate would be to see him pair with Johnny Marr again.

3 Likes

Yes he’s got all that stuff - you just wonder what these people do all day.

1 Like

On CD:-

CD 8 - Maurice Ravel - Le Tombeau de Couperin - Pavane pour une infante defunte
Erik Satie - Gymnopedies Nos. 3 & 1
Gabriel Faure - Pellaes et Melisande - Pavane - Masques et Bergamasques

11 Likes