What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

91rKh6JfYJL.AC_UY436_QL65
5120KUI7ROL.AC_UY436_QL65

14 Likes

Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman.

19 Likes

The Beatles - A Hard Days Night - Mono Box Set - CD

With all the talk of Macca’s Bass, there’s only one thing to do

24 Likes

51-0b9iPOUL.SX466
Alison Moyet - Voice, a covers album from Alf.

11 Likes

Alison Krauss & Union Station, so long so wrong. :smiling_face:

16 Likes

Tonight’s bedtime tunes…

12 Likes

The Beatles - Let It Be… Naked - CD

26 Likes

It’s always interesting to hear what happens when an ‘over-produced’ record is stripped back.

The Beatles’ Let It Be is the most obvious example, and sounds so much better (in my opinion, of course).

And the pared back version of The Doors’ album ‘The Soft Parade’ is fascinating when all the brass instruments are removed - and, very appropriately, the LP is pressed on clear vinyl.

2 Likes

Alison Krauss and Union Station, lonely runs both ways. :smiling_face:

11 Likes

Hi Graham, that’s an interesting observation, I don’t have a favourite version, it was sod’s law that the naked version was closer to hand and so that’s the one that got played.

Regarding The Doors, I’m going to have to have a listen now!

1 Like

I can’t work out what’s going on with the ‘stripped’ Soft Parade. There are guitar runs on various tracks that I have never heard before, but there’s nothing to say that these have been newly recorded (by Robbie Krieger or otherwise), or added to this ‘version’ of the record.

1 Like

Don’t worry - @steviebee will be along to tell you - he knows all things Doors!

1 Like

I know. I used to think that I was the biggest Doors fanatic on this Forum, but I bow to his knowledge!

2 Likes

He is committed to it for sure. I had a pretty hardcore friend, but stevie blows him away.

1 Like

I’m flattered, but I’m a mere minnow compared to some. I have followed them very closely since my early teens tis true…soundtrack of my life. Never saw them live, much to my regret, but staying in the motel apartment where Jim lived for awhile, and visiting his grave and being alone there (back in the ‘bust headstone’ days) are two highlights I will never forget.

However, to get to the point! Sorry for rambling, lol. In 2019 when they stripped out the brass and strings on three tracks, Robbie recorded new guitar parts to fill in the inevitable gaps in the songs.

What I liked in the bare Wishful Sinful is how it brought Jim’s quite (imho) wonderful vocal to the fore - not glaringly so but just enough…I was almost in tears when I played it, but I am a huge Doors softie.

And…Live At The Matrix will be out in the next week or so. Literally cannot wait!

3 Likes

Thanks, Stevie, I couldn’t see anything to suggest that Robbie added guitar parts. (Maybe I wasn’t concentrating.) At least I know now that the guitar is new.

I have the ‘Matrix’ set on order.

1 Like

Thanks to you and Graham for this, that’s what I like about this forum, somebody somewhere knows to fill the gaps in, Monday’s listening is taking shape!

Will have to check out the ‘Matrix Set’ once again thank you both :+1:

1 Like

My pleasure, Graham :slight_smile:

I think you’ll really enjoy the Matrix as it will be quite new to you as you don’t have the Bright Midnight releases, any bootlegs, or ( I think? ) any of the 50th Anniversary sets. It should be a major upgrade to the first offical Matrix CD which was not from the master tapes, despite the claim that it was. Should be a great release.

2 Likes

Sadly, The official Doors Forum was closed by DM (Doors Management, somewhat controversial!) some time ago, but there are some very knowledgeable Doors people on the Steve Hoffman Forum - worth checking if of interest. Also, check The Freedom Man site. It’s a goodie.

1 Like

Thanks again steviebee, that’s my Monday sorted.

1 Like