What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Simple Minds New Gold Dream

20 Likes

Thats the strange pricing with Qobuz sublime……about £16 for Neil or £3.89 for the new Pete Frampton……does not compute?

1 Like

Yes and given that most of the exact same tracks have been released recently it is difficult to understand the pricing.

I have noticed that prices on Qobuz have started to creep up recently - even with the Sublime discount a number are over £10+ nowadays

Also, I saw @QuickSticks bought the Neil Young CD and it was around £16 for a relatively short album. Yesterday, I nipped into HMV and thought I’ll check out the price as he must have paid over the odds but there it was for £18.99 !

I suppose old Neil and his wife need the money.

I am going to copy a few files over from my collection and buy the 4 unreleased tracks - putting the album together for £6.

3 Likes

Glad to see this is finally getting a release next month.

10 Likes

I bought recently, but have not yet played, new LP copies of Friedrich Gulda’s Mozart Piano Concertos (nos 19, 21, 25 and 27) with Claudio Abbado conducting the Vienna Philharmonic on three DGG LPs.

Gulda was one of a ‘new wave’ of post-World War Two Austrian musicians, and occasionally took time out from the Classical world to play jazz. He favoured a Bœsendorfer piano over a Steinway, and he had a clear, precise playing style.

I’m looking forward to hearing these recordings again.

1 Like

Fast becoming my favourite version

24 Likes

Yes and look at the vinyl price! Just crazy

1 Like

Is this a ‘new’ version of ‘Animals’? (Has Roger been re-recording more old material again?)

I always smile when I see the photo, because the inflatable ‘pig’ managed to ‘escape’ its moorings at Battersea Power Station and drifted off towards Heathrow, where it disrupted air traffic at the airport. You couldn’t make it up!!

No (well kind of) it’s the 2018 remix. There wasn’t a Wodger in the crowd. :grin:

Nat Birchall - Akhenaten. Spiritual jazz. Can’t really go wrong with Gondwana Records releases.

3 Likes

Thank you, Pete, I didn’t know that it had been remixed. I won’t be rushing out to buy a copy, though, as ‘Animals’ was the one Floyd LP that I didn’t ‘get’. It was - to me - strangely disjointed music.

Oddly enough I didn’t till years after its release. Give it another try

Cannonball Adderley With Milt Jackson
Things Are Getting Better / 2006 Riverside / EU CD / 0025218603225

11 Likes

It’s weird how this can happen, though.

I have LPs of, and greatly admire, (almost) all the Yes albums, but I have never ‘got’ ‘Tales of Topographic Oceans’.

One of those labels - you just know it is going to be good even before hearing it.

1 Like

I don’t listen to a lot of Yes, there’s a couple of albums I’ve always played. I should revisit them.

I suggest that you start with ‘Fragile’ and ‘Close To The Edge’ - albums made after Rick Wakeman joined the group.

3 Likes

That’s funny, it’s one of my favourites🤷🏻‍♂️

2 Likes

…which is what makes listening to music so enjoyable for those who love it!

We all have different tastes, but we probably all meet up somewhere in the middle.

Started with Dream Theater -Octavarium this morning…
IMG_3405
…and now listening to King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair

12 Likes