What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Now playing…

Jakob Bro - Gefion

Jakob Bro (Guitar), Thomas Morgan (Double Bass) and Jon Christensen (Drums).

Streaming on Qobuz (88.2/24… kicking off this morning with Jakob Bro’s ‘Gefion’ to kick off with a mellow flow this morning and Jakob, Thomas and Jon are sounding sublime! Love all of Jakob’s work, one very sweet album…

10 Likes

Kate Rusby, hourglass. :smiling_face:

14 Likes

Playing on Vinyl

17 Likes

Not been able to spin any LP’s for a few days due to fencing repairs and fingers covered in filler, stain n paint residue, got to do my bit to keep those pesky immigrants out right?

Now enjoying a first spin of this historically significant and only recorded document of the period (1957) when Monk and Trane were playing togethor and Monk was a major positive influence on Trane’s musical development
working with Monk brought me close to a musical architect of the highest order. I felt I learned from him in every way - through the senses, theoretically, technically. I would talk to Monk about musical problems and he would sit at the piano and show me the answers by playing them…

I think Craft are overpricing their OJC series at just shy of £50 even if they are superbly pressed, mastered and presented in a Tip On Sleeve as with this title, which I’m pleased to have payed £30.99 for at Juno, so hopefully a sign that the Craft OJC series is starting to be more realistically priced.

Anyway its a superb record

Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane (Craft/OJC Jazzland)

:heart:

11 Likes

Now playing…

Jakob Bro - Bay of Rainbows

Jakob Bro (Guitar), Thomas Morgan (Double Bass) and Joey Baron (Drums).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on this morning with another of Jakob’s albums and Jakob, Thomas and Joey are sounding sublime! The laid back and relaxing music continues and always brings joy to the day…

6 Likes

Albert King - Born Under A Bad Sign – 1967

I always associated the Flying-V with Michael Schenker and those other metal bands, but they were well beaten to it.

22 Likes

Grace Jones - Nightclubbing - CD

23 Likes

From 2000, a fabulous 3-CD box set of electronica. Tracklist below:

13 Likes

Nice one, Kev. @TheKevster

2 Likes

What @Steve_S says, nice one @TheKevster

2 Likes

Nice range from light melodic with classical elements to raw progressive metal, just downloaded, but liking it…

3 Likes

Prompted by @Anonymoot and his Flying V

6 Likes

Now playing…

Stefano Bollani Quintet - Joy In Spite Of Everything

Stefano Bollani (Piano), Jesper Bodilsen (Double Bass), Morten Lund (Drums), Mark Turner (Tenor Saxophone) and Bill Frisell (Guitar).

Streaming on Qobuz (88.2/24)… continuing on this Monday morning with the Stefano Bollani Quintet, and they are sounding sublime! …a very big smile every time I hear the opening track ‘Easy Healing’ which is simply marvelous and this is one very sweet album! …toes are tapping and legs are swaying…

6 Likes

Voices & Percussions - Boca de Tambor & Silvano Michelino

2 Likes

Michael Penn - Free for All

Brother of Sean and husband of Aimee Mann.

A long time since he’s released a proper album which is a pity since he is such a talented singer songwriter.

IMG_8068

4 Likes

My vinyl copy of Black Rainbows arrived today. Opted for Amazon’s exclusive clear vinyl edition -£4 cheaper than black (?). It sounds terrific and is beautifully presented including proper inner sleeves. 3 sided as well, 4th side etched. Bound to feature in albums of the year. A brave departure for Rae I think.

2 Likes

Ok. We are streaming this from my wife’s phone whilst cooking on hols. The boy can sing!!!

Run and hide!

Edit: There is a second CD of his stuff coming through now. Many of his early hits rerecorded and slowed down without the 80s splashy drum machines and production. Really good and shows how good the songs actually were.

4 Likes

An absolute masterpiece of progressive metal, just downloaded also the 2023 remaster, yes it is that good….

3 Likes

Tinariwen - Amassakoul

9 Likes

Thanks i will listen to it!!!