What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Did I mention I’m seeing him twice in the next month or so, the second time in Berlin? Think I probably get a bit too excited about these things! :grin::grin:

1 Like

Lord Huron: Long Lost

7 Likes

Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk (1958)

I posted this seven days ago, saying that I really ought to get the 2022 version with the second disc of alternate takes. Well here it is. One immediate difference is that this is now in mono, whereas my older version was in stereo. The fact that it’s in mono doesn’t really weigh against, after all the stereo is 1958 stereo. However, the big plus for the newer version is significantly improved sound - it’s now much easier to hear the melody in Spanky De Brett’s bass playing. Super album sounding utterly convincing in mono.

10 Likes

Just listening to Jonny Walker and played Won’t get fooled again, after talking to Pete Townsend.

I hadn’t heard the story of the cover. Pete explained it was on the way back from a photoshoot when someone wanted a pee. They all got out of the transport, walked up a coal slag heap to pee and the photographer took the pics. The monument apparently is a concrete pile meant to stabilise the slag heap. Pete still thinks it wasn’t the picture he would have used.

13 Likes

Sounds wonderful. Enjoy! I’ve just checked his tour dates and unfortunately both shows nearest me (Exeter & Bristol) are sold out. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to see him next year

Ronnie Davis - Iyahcoustic (Skinnybwoy CD)

Veteran roots reggae artist Ronnie Davis beautiful unplugged set from 2016. Songs of the spirit, love, hardship and Rastafari. Sadly Ronnie passed away soon after this was released giving the songs an added sense of poignancy and emotion, a moving swan song.
Great sounding CD and I see Qobuz have a HR stream.

:heart:

4 Likes

Horace Andy - Mr Bassie (Heartbeat Original Studio One Masters Series CD)

Superb sounding compilation of the great Horace Andy recorded at Studio One. From the always excellent Heartbeat label series of Studio One CD’s from master tapes.

5 Likes

It’s been ‘Classic Album Sunday’ here, while we cooked:

Supertramp - Even in the Quietest Moments

The Pretenders - The Pretenders

The Beat - I Just Can’t Stop It

5 Likes

Love that Supertramp album. Just bought a NM 1st UK press of ‘Even In The Quietest Moments’ whilst in Bakewell, Derbyshire last week. :blush:

2 Likes

Daryl Way’s Wolf - Canis Lupus

3 Likes

Tommy McCook - Super Star Disco Rockers (Pressure Sounds)

Absolutely loving this mid seventies Jazzy Instrumental Dub gem re issued by Pressure Sounds. On vinyl or digital from Bandcamp and streaming on Qobuz.
The great Tommy McCook with The Agrovators produced by Bunny Lee.

4 Likes

Finished playing…

Sidsel Endresen - So I Write

Sidsel Endresen (Vocal), Nils Petter Molvaer (Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Percussion), Django Bates (Piano) and Jon Christensen (Percussion).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this morning hour with Sidsel with her talented quartet and they are sounding sublime! One lovely album…

1 Like

Nat King Cole and his trio After Midnight (Pure Pleasure/Capitol)

Probably Nat’s finest vocal recording imo from 1956 before he went down a more pop route. Playing the lovely sounding Pure Pleasure 2LP edition.

10 Likes

One of my favourite Jazz albums Clive. The CD was never great SQ wise but as you’ve now found the Rhino 2LP mono re issue (I’m assuming its this one referring to) addresses that superbly.
Oh, and mono certainly doesnt count against, imo many Mono Jazz albums from the period sound better.

Bachdenkel - Lemmings

3 Likes

He was certainly very good at Norwich Arts Centre on Friday with a full house altho the new material in the first set didn’t really stand up to the older stuff in the second. Some great backing musicians - impressed with the bass player and the harpist (not the lovely doctor) Alice Roberts. Enjoy!

1 Like

Needing more Cobham, thought I’d give this Speakers Corner Birds Of Fire an airing. Usually I just play the first press…

Billy Cobham’s solo on One Word is just immense at volume. My neighbours may apply for new housing…

What a band.

11 Likes

Maria João Pires interprète MozartConcerto pour piano n° 9

4 Likes

‘Fancy Dancer’ - Bobbi Humphrey

Superb mid-70s jazz funk on Blue Note. Really like this album.

5 Likes

The Tubes, What Do You Want From Live, 1978.

11 Likes