What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Today on BBC R4 where The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is being discussed.

On CD:-

Herbie Hancock - Inventions & Dimensions

14 Likes

No reason, just because…:wink:

7 Likes

Tom Petty. Highway companion
Not played for a while. From around 2005, produced by Jeff Lynn and it’s very good.
Cd rip

12 Likes

Thanks! :+1:

1 Like

Great album, Alpha is always worth checking out

1 Like

Bryan and I are having a moment.

avalon-album-cover

19 Likes

Hi @adeypoos,

Most of the Soul Jazz Studio One Series are good compilations although sometimes the track choices can be a bit odd and dont always fit the title.
Anyway, three of my favourites from the series…

For newcomers, a great entree to the label, includes many of the “hits”…

These two are absolutely essential imo

The great Keyboard player Jackie Mittoo, a true legend of Jamaican music, great compilation of Reggae, funky, Jazzy instrumental grooves…

Soul Jazz are available from Sounds Of The Universe

:heart:

9 Likes

Hi Dread - I went for the series subscription option. Likely cheaper but more hassle with shipping. The advantage of going the Honest Jon route is that you likely get them earlier, as they are issued each month. I believe that Matt is aiming for end of year for the whole series.

1 Like

Jon Latham - Real Bad News

6 Likes

Now playing-

10 Likes

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Wail 'n Soul’m Singles Selecta (Universal CD 2005)

Following the Wailers tenure at Studio One, Bob Peter, Bunny and Rita briefly started their own label Wail 'n Soul’m to record and release their own self produced material.
This compilation rounds up the first ten of those singles A & B sides recorded around '66 to '68.
Along with the material recorded a little later with Lee Scratch Perry these are the original and best versions of songs that Bob would go on to re-record for the Island label albums.

Soul Revolutionaries - The Early Jamaican Albums (Trojan 2005)

Box set of the above mentioned original Wailers Lee Scratch Perry produced albums, nice repro card sleeves of the original Trojan albums and the added bonus of the Leslie Kong produced Best Of The Wailers album, this is a superb album often overlooked when considering the Wailers early recordings. It also has a spooky history, Bunny Wailer was upset at Leslie Kong releasing this under the title Best Of reasoning that the best was surely yet to come, suitably irked Bunny cursed Leslie Kong (Obeah, simikar to Haitian Voodoo is taken very seriously in Ja) who within the year suddenly and unexpectedly dropped dead, officially from a heart attack.

:heart:

8 Likes

I have the US pressing from 2010 which is numbered and has a sticker with the AAA claim on it. It has been claimed on the Hoffman forums that the US pressing is AAA and that the MOV pressing is from a digital file, which was why I got the US version. Both versions have been repressed. I have just done a brief comparison and even the US pressing is inferior to my early U.K. Polydor, but I think it could be better than the MOV on the basis of your description.

1 Like

John Lennon - Power To The People: The Hits, with tracks remastered in 2010.

13 Likes

Thanks Clive, I think I recall reading that which would confirm my doubts about the AAA provenance

1 Like

Stuck indoors, waiting for deliveries. Still, has its compensations. Bonny Light Horseman - Rolling Golden Holy.

9 Likes

The Cactus Blossoms - Easy Way

3 Likes

On CD.

7 Likes

Cheers for the steer re Honest Jon’s, will see what he still has. As some are already oos at Nimbus maybe the subscription wont now be an option, I should probably email Matt and get the SP.

You’ve prompted me to listen to the two most recent LP titles I bought, these are Kevin Gray cuts, as are the two volumes of Horace Tapscott Live At Lobero which I have, dont buy direct from Pure Pleasure though their prices are over inflated. I have a few other Nimbus West titles eg Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra Flight 17, The Call but these are the ones Matt says are cut from CD.

I’ve got my eye on the Live In Lotusland LP Box, have you heard it?

2 Likes

No - not got a lot of Tapscott other than the excellent ‘Live From Century City’, the Flying Dutchman and the Sonny Criss session.

Always had the feeling that he and the Arkestra were at their best in live recordings, which is an incentive to me for the subscription series, which would appear to be a unique record.

I’ll probably pick up the ‘Tapscott With Winds’. Need also to read the Isoardi book.

In addition to being present at the memorial performance in LA the day after Tapscott’s passing in 1999 I managed to miss a low key and hardly advertised trio performance when he was on tour about 5 years earlier. A very rare event and tickets were about $5. Will forever kick myself for that.

1 Like