What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Paul McCartney - The McCartney Years, listening to the audio from around 40 music videos, lovely sound in PCM Stereo.

5 Likes

I much prefer early Williams to later successful Williams but I think she’s terrific here, a wonderful album. Have the CD but Qobuz hi-res is a joy.

16 Likes

The album is listed on Qobuz, but sadly all the tracks are greyed out. Sometimes this is only temporary, so it may change. However, I have found this, which looks promising:

https://www.youtube.com/live/kKlT_2JdTDw?si=JTdoHovj9emvzhLv

1 Like

Chris Smither - Time Stands Still

3 Likes

Seal + Horn + ZTT Just great pop music.

16 Likes

Prompted by a particularly nasty “woman” in the news today…

“As a humanitarian, I wrote the song due to emotional feelings towards freedom taken away from human beings. None of us should be forced by violence, economics, war, or persecution to leave our country against our will.

– Jimmy Cliff”

Cliff says he views refugees as ordinary people who are also “quite extraordinary people, because they make miracles happen”. He describes negative attitudes towards them as stemming from “ignorance and wrong judgement” as well as the harmful effects of racism.

In an ideal world, he says, refugees would not exist anymore. “I know it’s utopian,” he says, adding that for now he will settle for them having “equality/equity, truth, and justice”.

…and respect in every aspect to Jimmy Cliff
:heart:

9 Likes

Maybe you will like Horace Tapscott Live At Lobero.

Interesting post, did you/do you live in LA?

Taj Mahal - Giant Step/De Old Folks At Home

13 Likes

Dire Straits - Making Movies - CD

26 Likes

Playing on CD …love I Dug Up A Diamond and Emmy and Marks vocal wrapping on it

E0B8E2A5-6A77-48F4-8944-9CDE27DD741E

18 Likes

Two great artists.

1 Like

No but I did work out in that region for a stint. In jazz terms it was superb as so many legends were still alive. The LA scene was amazing and for example you could go to open air gigs and walk past the likes of Benny Carter (super old chap) in the crowd as well as meet some of these people (such as Harold Land).

Some good clubs were still open, such as Jazz Bakery in Culver City. I remember seeing Cecil Taylor and Jackie McLean there. Sunday jazz brunch at ‘The Lighthouse’ was a regular fave.

I’ll check out ‘Lobero’.

3 Likes

The Dr. Izzy Band - Blind & Blues Bound

2 Likes

Dire Straits - Love Over Gold - CD

This must rank as one of the most demoed Albums ever, with a pair of SL 6’s or 600’s at the end of nearly every system, still a great album

30 Likes

Now playing…

Nils Petter Molvaer - Khmer

Nils Petter Molvaer (Trumpet, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Percussion, Samples), Eivind Aarset (Guitars, Treatments, Talk Box), Morten Molster (Guitar), Roger Ludvigsen (Guitar, Percussion, Dulcimer), Rune Arnesen (Drums), Ulf W.O. Holand (Samples) and Reidar Skar (Sound Treatment).

Streaming on Qobus (44/16)… kicking off this morning with Nils and he and the members of this sextet are sounding sublime! …one fine album!

9 Likes

Nice one! I bet your slso a Harry Bosch fan, Bosch Legacy season two coming very soon so I’m told.
Incidentally, theres an episode where he’s in a record store and pulls a Nimbus West title from the rack, a Horace Tapscot iirc and tells his daughter why its so great.

3 Likes

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon, on the sacd from '03.

27 Likes

David MacCallum’s 1960s Capitol albums with David Axelrod are great – very strange some of them, and it’s not entirely clear what DM actually did on them (conductor?) apart from lend his face to the covers.

This one, “Music – It’s Happening Now”, with the epically spooky “House Of Mirrors” is a good one.

RIP DM.

9 Likes

Now playing…

Florence + The Machine - Dance Fever

Florence Welch (Vocals, String Arrangement), , Percussion, Piano, Acoustic Guitar), Foot Stamping), Isabella Summers (Vocals), Robert Ackroyd (Electric Guitar), Tom Monger (Harp), Cyrus Bayandor (Harp), Aku Orraca-Tetteh (Vocals), Dionne Douglas (Vocals), Hazel Mills (Vocals), Sam Doyle (Vocals), Jack Antonoff (Acoustic Guitar, Bass, , Drums, Mellotron, Percussion, Piano, Programming, Bells, (Glockenspiel, Electric Guitar, Organ, Twelve String Acoustic Guitar, Slide Guitar, Synthesizer, Tubular Bells, Wurlitzer Organ), Evan Smith (Saxophones, Synthesizer), Tom Moth (Harp, String Arrangement), Bobby Hawk (Violin), Eric Byers (Cello), Dave Bayley (Electric Guitar, Strings, Programming, Bells, Percussion, Piano, Synthesizer, Bass, Organ, Acoustic Guitar, Drums, Mellotron, Keyboards), Thomas Bartlett (Percussion, Piano, Synthesizer, Accordion), Drums, Keyboards), Maggie Rogers (Vocals), Leo Abrahams (Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar), Steve Pearce (Bass), Ian Thomas (Drums) and Mark Brown (Saxophone).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on this morning with Florence + The Machine and she and the talented group of musicians working with her are sounding mighty sweet! One fine and fun album…

5 Likes

Jumping between selections on these 2 albums:

I place them with Lynyrd Skynyrd in a tie for second place for best bands in the Southern Rock genre behind the Allman Brothers.

3 Likes