What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

That was one of Martha Argerich’s first recordings for DGG. She had signed previously to EMI, but had a falling out with them and switched to DGG before anything was issued by EMI.

Years later, the only solo LP that she had recorded for EMI (engineered/produced by the famous Suvi Raj Grub) was released. Its content is broadly similar to her first solo DGG outing, but it’s fascinating to compare the almost identical records.

2 Likes

The Who - Who Are You, listening to the version with the 5 bonus tracks.

10 Likes

Hope you enjoy Keyboard King.

While the Soul Jazz Studio One comps are pretty good, they are mostly various artist grab bag comps sourced from original Ja singles.
If you want to go down a Studio One rabbit hole and check out some of the labels original albums on CD sourced from master tape then Canadian label Heartbeat Studio One Masters Series should be checked out. I have most of them, their good and avoids navigating the minefield of often horrendous Jamaican Studio One pressings.
Incidentally, Chris Wilson who ran the Heartbeat Series, now continues working with Courtney Dodd the son of Clement Dodd re releasing Studio One on vinyl and digital.

1 Like

Trapeze - You Are The Music…We’re Just The Band

4 Likes

Couldn’t do a prog night without a bit of fairly early Genesis

Genesis - Live

18 Likes

7 Likes

Another great album from my growing Jason Isbell collection

IMG_0588

Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit - The Nashville Sound

10 Likes

You probably have these but I can recommend the two solo albums by Gary Boyle that followed the break up of Isotope, ‘The Dancer’ (1977) and ‘Electric Glide’ (1978) which both originally came out on the Gull label. Great instrumental jazz rock.

4 Likes

Tears for Fears, songs from the big chair. :smiling_face:

22 Likes

The Corrs - Home.
Some reworked old Irish songs and covers.

7 Likes

Malcolm Jiyane Tree-O : Umdali. I like South African Jazz & I like the sound of a nice trombone. Jiyane’s first as leader, as they say. Very spiritual. Vinyl.

2 Likes

Susan Tedeschi, 25th Anniversary Edition of Just Won’t Burn.

12 Likes

Thanks I will have a listen. I was in a mood for reminiscing this evening and I was trying to remember the Croydon Greyhound Sunday night gigs from 50 odd years ago and I pulled out of my old grey matter some of the more obscure bands that played there, one of which was Isotope and the other bands I have played this evening. Quite a time trip :blush:

2 Likes

As you probably are aware, this fine recording was the second release on the naim label, remastered by Julian Vereker.

Gary Boyle Electric Glide / 1993 naim / Austria CD / naimcd002

8 Likes

Bedtime tunes, must order the vinyl tomorrow :blush:

7 Likes

Joan Baez - Diamonds And Rust In The Bullring.
“Recorded live in Bilbao, Spain bullring”. (not a shopping centre in Birmingham).

7 Likes

Dire Straits, brothers in arms. Never gets old. :smiling_face:

21 Likes

Re-living my youth; mix tape from ‘86 and a photo of some of its provenance from around that time. NAD 7155 Technics SLP-111 & Nak 480 with PL-12D out of frame on a bedside cabinet IIRC. Tape sounds surprisingly good on Nak 300e.

Sorry Graeme, rusty at this & replied to your thread instead of general reply!

13 Likes

Enjoying this jazz playlist on Qobuz:

4 Likes

Pink Martini, splendor in the grass. :smiling_face:

11 Likes