What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Pioneer PL12D? I had one of those, it replaced a Garrard SP25 MK IV then the PL12D gave way to a Rega Planar 3 which gave way to an LP12 and financial ruin :joy:.
For some reason I still have the headshell from the PL12D in a box of old turntable bits.

2 Likes

Need a pencil? :wink:

3 Likes

Need to check that one out. I see you bought Tapscott & Winds, hope your enjoying it…

Horace Tapscott Live At Lobero Vol 1 & 2 (Pure Pleasure/Nimbus West)

Kevin Gray cuts

:heart:

5 Likes

Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways.
2012 Kscope remastered vinyl release… :notes: :sunglasses: :+1:t3: :grinning:

8 Likes

LZ 3. iPod and ear buds by the pool. Still sounds good.

24 Likes

A bit off topic but I couldnt resist a little reminisce, as this article suggests I used mine with a Goldring G800 I also remember using a Shure M75 EJ type 2 if memory serves, the article also mentions the Pioneer PL12D.

1 Like

Nina Simone - Four Women
Just fabulous😌

8 Likes

Posted this last week when streaming, arrived this morning on the black stuff…

Tommy McCook & The Agrovators - Super Star Disco Rockers (Pressure Sounds)

Lovely Jazz/Dub/Instrumental album lead by the great Tommy McCook originally released in 1977 produced by Bunny Lee at King Tubby’s and lovingly re issued by Pressure Sounds in 2018 and now available again.

7 Likes

That’s a great choice :+1:t2:

The Ahmad Jamal Trio The Awakening / 1997 Impulse / EU CD / IMP12262

12 Likes

Mark Hollis, 1998.

14 Likes

Joni Mitchell - Ladies of the Canyon, from The Reprise Albums box set.

10 Likes

First spin for the studio part of this gorgeous double vinyl box set. Sensational music, great SQ.

10 Likes

Now Playing…

Anouar Brahem - Blue Maqams

Anouar Brahem (Oud), Dave Holland (Double Bass), Jack DeJohnette (Drums) and Django Bates (Piano).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… kicking off this Wednesday morning with Anouar Brahem with his fabulous quartet and they are sounding sublime! One beautiful album…

12 Likes

Jan Hammer Group - Melodies - 1977

Classic prog in the form of Hyperspace

2 Likes

Good innit…

So much better than that wallpapery Promises album, and I speak as a Pharoah fan since I was 14/15.

Bless him.

1 Like

Listening on Qobuz, available Digitally on Bandcamp…

Embark on a journey in reggae music from Bristol UK to Kingston JA with ‘Time Will Tell’, a collaborative opus uniting Henry & Louis (Andy Scholes & Jack Lundie) with Rob Smith from Smith & Mighty (under his Blue & Red alias) and great voices in reggae music. Originally released in 2001, the mixtape-style album makes its return, freshly remastered for the record stores & streaming platforms!

The story begins in the summer of 1996 when a young Andy Scholes sets off from Bristol to Jamaica to trace the origins of reggae music straight back to its origins. Armed with an abundance of passion and a 16-track reel-to-reel full of instrumentals produced by his friends Rob & Jack, his ambition is to record his favourite Jamaican vocalists and to produce an album.

With no contacts in Kingston, Andy crosses paths with UB40’s frontman Ali Campbell in the streets of the capital through a series of unexpected events. Ali took a dear interest the project and generously opened his Port Maria studio to Andy, offering him a lavish workroom to bring life to ‘Time Will Tell’.

Tony Tuff, Willie Williams, Johnny Clarke, Pacey, Shalom, Prince Green… Andy returns to England, his luggage packed with incredible recordings printed on tape. The fusion of Rob and Jack’s modern production with the authentic conscious lyrics breathes of something deep and unique. To finalise the project, the three accomplices decide to invite MCs from their entourage on the track list including the original Tippa Irie; in total 13 singers make the cut onto the continuous mix album!

Time Will Tell, a musical excursion through Bristol and Kingston in the late 90s, guided by roots reggae infused with UK dub & trip-hop. Time Will Tell, celebrating the power of music to inspire positive change. 22 years after its inception, the record’s innovation and mystique continues to shine, Time Will Tell…

3 Likes

Indeed, the Pioneer. I can’t recall which cart was in the SME headshell, AT I think. I was trying to remember as a lot of the mixes were clearly from vinyl and I thought sounded better than I would have thought realistic.

Regarding the pencil, it’s a valid question. At least 25 years since they’ve been played, so I’m giving them a few firm taps both sides and doing a full FF/RW before playing them.

1 Like

I’ve always loved “Harvest Time”, and it’s great to finally have it on vinyl.

That Promises record was ridiculous – can’t see why it got so many rave reviews: just new age synth noodling with some sax parps. Not the best end to the great man’s career.

2 Likes

Jeff Beck - ‘Live at Ronnie Scott’s’ - 2008

A long overdue play of some JB, what a genius guitarist he was.

17 Likes