What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Now playing…

Arooj Aftab - Love in Exile

Arooj Aftab (Vocals), Vijay Iyer (Piano and Electronics) and Shahzad Ismaily (Bass, Moog Synthesizer).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… returning home after running a few errands and continuing on with another album from Arooj and this trio is sounding sublime! One fine album…

5 Likes

Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief.

25 Likes

4 Likes

A slight change in tack ….

Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

21 Likes

I am not quite sure why I ordered a new LP of Nirvana’s ‘Nevermind’, but a new one duly arrived today. I must stick it on the LP12, and turn up the volume.

2 Likes

One of the finest blues piano jams you’ll ever hear! :notes::loud_sound::drum::musical_note::violin::musical_score:🪇

8 Likes

The stereo’s switched off as we’re having some work done in the living room, so…

In the kitchen with one of my old Discmans, Westone IEMs and
The Mahavishnu Project:
Return To The Emerald Beyond

Having a whale of a time in here. Love it.

7 Likes

Just got this…

14 Likes

First chance to listen to something for over a week, need something easy haven’t heard this for a long time. Little River Band First Under the Wire.

7 Likes

Floating in an ocean of bass

2 Likes

Started my morning with the Orpheus doing Mozart, but it’s nearly finished and I’ve run out of coffee so I might have to get up…:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Edit Mrs QS just brought me another coffee before she left for the office, I shall now get up at 8:00 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

…time for some Yes!

Tales from Topographic Oceans

12 Likes

popped in through the door yesterday

Should have got it when it came out but hey ho…
Pristine 2nd hand copy.
The CDs are in cardboard ‘versions’ of the original covers.
The only thing I feel the package is missing is a booklet of info - so likely to cannibalise my old jewel case versions to put in the box (tried it and just fits).

13 Likes

First up.
Always felt this album to be them sort of trying their boots on, exploring their sound, getting their sh!te together.
Given other bands and albums around at the time it never feels as adventurous and has yet to develop the Hawkwind ‘sound’
Cover replicates the original gatefold - I’m looking for an electron microscope to read the back…

13 Likes

Today on BBC R4 where Alan Yentob’s Cracked Actor rockumentary on David Bowie is being discussed.

1 Like

Now we are talking.
I love the way each track develops rather than straight in and hold all the way through
Single CD sleeve cover - so not a replica of the original.
(which like my other prized Hawkwind and other albums was stolen by an ex girlfriend to fund her habit - easy to carry in a protective box).
I know some of these albums were remastered and it was interesting trying to work out my responses. Initially I thought it had been changed but a few A/B plays of one track showed I could tell no difference.
Interesting how expectations can affect things.
Loved it.

Partly the reason for buying the set was a recent realisation that I often don’t play the bonus tracks on CDs, stopping at the end of the original release - unless they are very different or really grab me.
Recently bought the original Motorhead album in CD replica sleeve and have really enjoyed it.
These discs have no bonus material.

14 Likes

Had the original album on vinyl.
Listened to disc 1.
Really good to hear the whole set rather than the 2 tracks from the original.
sound quality is good in some ways, though the vocals are often lost in the mix.
Rough. raw and ready to rock…

12 Likes

Never heard this before James Brown Payback

Edit I can’t believe I’d not head this think it’s probably his best album.

8 Likes

Mean while back in London, Lou Reed Transformer not his best imo but clearly his most commercial album. Always puts a smile on your face.

24 Likes

Playing on vinyl

6 Likes