What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre OF The Earth - CD

16 Likes

Still remember buying that 29 years ago. Mine’s a 1988 issue. Not Marley’s biggest fan tbh but early Wailers is fine. The stuff you posted the other day I recall. His words stay good but the music feels a bit too polished. Bit harsh maybe. Maybe I’ll give Exodus another go?

1 Like

Bonnie Prince Billy - “Keeping Secrets Will Destroy You”

Will Oldham’s best record in years

8 Likes

UK first press vinyl. Their best album by far:

18 Likes

A run of 5 great albums through to Rock Love which sees the standard drop a tad I think. Continued to make great pop music though.

1 Like

UK first (only?) press vinyl LP. Haven’t heard this in ages. Just looked on Discogs and wow, this goes for silly money these days.

17 Likes

Not my usual fare but picked up a 2nd hand copy in as new condition today & my word does it sound good. The joy of vinyl - buying & playing.

22 Likes

I’ve listened to the 2 discs of the 50th anniversary remix of the original album.
Just under 2 hours of music.
Overall I think the remaster/remix is stunning - a lot more detail in the sounds.
To me it is crisper so you can both hear what is making up the wall of sound as well as somehow more space around the instruments.
I know that the placement of the voices does not appear to fit where the band members were standing as they are often not located where they were playing their instruments.
I’ve always been intrigued that the photos always show Calvert and Turner to the left with Brock and Lemmy to the right - but if I remember correctly the album has always had the instruments the other way round as if we are standing with the band rather than watching from in front.
Sort of fits with the Hawklords mythology and makes the listener part of it…
If you don’t fancy plumping for the big box set then I would recommend the 2CD expanded version also out there

9 Likes

FWIW, I streamed the Qobuz 24/96 Aja this morning and thought it wasn’t as good as either the rip of the silver disc CD or the actual CD.

I much preferred the CD.

1 Like

Relentless/PSB

Closest we’ll probably get to a Chris Lowe “solo” album. Brilliant.

It’s getting a first outing (bar a super rare 500 copy run at the time) on vinyl soon. 30th anniversary of its first appearance as a complementary disc to their Very album.

3 Likes

Japan - Tin Drum - CD

30 Likes

I would add “Recall the Beginning … A Journey From Eden” to the list an overlooked gem in the Steve Miller Band catalogue.

2 Likes

Madonna, bedtime stories. :smiling_face:

13 Likes

These Steely Dan recent Hi Res reissues are just not as good as the CD rips.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again I want a job doing these Hi Res reissues - emperor’s new clothes.

4 Likes

Agreed. A return to form. That said I still love Macho City which seems to attract nothing but criticism these days. Annie Nightingale seemed to play it every week. I stuck with him to Abracadabra.

2 Likes

I was all in for buying the whole set of SACD too, but held back. Not sure how these are being received, but for now I’ll definitely stick to my CD and vinyl copies.

Joni Mitchell, ladies of the Canyon. :smiling_face:

16 Likes

Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks, giving this possibly only it’s second or third spin , big fan of PR, but always found a reason to ignore the album.

5 Likes

Sonic Youth, and Sonic Nurse; a real return to form after a late 90s/early noughties slump:

8 Likes

Get over the name and the music is well worth a listen.

1 Like