What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Stanley Turrentine - Comin’ Your Way

Inspired by some of the posts further up the thread.

10 Likes

First play on the new 7000CDT
Strangely enough, NOT Rush😉

Sarah McLachlan - Afterglow
It was the first CD that came to hand😊

13 Likes

Indeed :wilted_flower:

OK; now for some RUSH!

My very infrequently played CD of 2112😊

16 Likes

Bonnie Raitt - Just Like That - CD

17 Likes

I was hoping to join @Tabbycat listening to Sarah Walker’s Sunday Morning programme, but the FM transmitter is down (again) for essential engineering work. So I’m having to listen to the HD version over the internet. I’ve turned the NAT01 off in protest!

5 Likes

Playing this . Why?

A very early impulse purchase from years ago but never really gave it time. I’m not familiar with the HiQ Supercuts series. Can anyone give any snippets of info?
Not overly familiar with Starker either.
I’m hoping @anon70766008 can step in.
It’s a sunny autumn morning and the coffee machine is grinding the next cup.
This is sounding lovely, can’t beat a cello.

5 Likes

Freddie Hubbard hub-tones / 1999 Blue Note / US CD / RVG Edition / 724349900820

12 Likes

Hello, Neil, I can tell you that Starker was an Hungarian emigré, who fled communism, going first to the Metropolitan Opera in New York, but then - famously - was hand picked by the (extremely demanding) Fritz Reiner to become principal cello in Reiner’s Chicago Symphony Orchestra, at the time easily the best orchestra in the US of A.

Starker made a famous recording of the six Cello Suites, written by JS Bach as a technical exercise to highlight the range of the ‘new’ cello, which replaced a member of the viol class of string instruments. After Bach’s death, the Suites had been largely forgotten and unplayed, but were ‘re-discovered’, and given new ‘life’, by the great Pablo Casals. Casals recorded them, and they are now a highlight of the cello repertory, and have been recorded by greats such as Daniil Shafran, Mstislav Rostropovich, Andrew Schiff, and by Starker.

3 Likes

Grateful Graham.
I will seek out more if his works.
His Faure is wonderful.

If it’s any consolation, I’m “slumming it” too with my NAT 02 :wink:
I’d forgotten how good it sounds, I really should turn it on more than a couple of times a year.

2 Likes

I don’t think that Starker ever had a long-term recording contract with a particular record label, so there is no systematic re-release program of his recordings.

Your best bet is probably the US Amazon site (amazonDOTcom).

2 Likes

You most certainly should.

1 Like

Have a listen to Paul Eastham, A very talented composer and pianist, He was also the frontman of Coast until they broke up recently.
He’s released some great instrumental albums.
Particularly poignant is his track “Nothing left to burn” which he wrote after a messy divorce and lost access to his child.

DON’T SHOOT!’…I promise this is not going to turn into a RUSH-fest, but it came straight to hand as I was putting 2112 away…:man_shrugging:t2:

RUSH - Hold Your Fire

7 Likes

Johnny Cash Is Coming To Town. Qobuz.

8 Likes

Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees - CD

20 Likes

The Best Of David Bowie 1974/1979.

18 Likes

What do you make of the new CD player, so far, QS?

Oh yeah!

G

11 Likes