What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing

Vinyl. Prompted by a recall of hearing her and John Wilson on Master Tapes on BBC R4, as I looked through my record shelves.

5 Likes

Agreed.

In the early days of the shop we actually got sent a batch of DOL releases, unsolicited. One look and one listen, they were no more.

Returned to sender.

Re: Frank Sinatra. With the exception of some retrospectively revived albums (the magnificent Watertown, for example), many of his classic albums from his three big label phases are pretty cheap to acquire s/h.

Even the half decent condition copies usually sound amazing. We sell them for £5-£10 max.

2 Likes

Indeed! No need for these PD rip off merchants

1 Like

Now That’s What I Call Punk and New Wave
Great way to spend about 4 hours with this brilliant compilation.
The only Now album I own.

5 Likes

Early days yet Dread, as I’ve not done the full shootout…but at the mo, yes… there’s a freshness and balance there that I don’t remember hearing with the others ( I was always uncertain about the SC reissue ). Certainly Jerry’s violin and Hammer’s piano benefit on the US.

The Japanese first press struck me as very different at first, a bit muddy even, but comes alive with more volume. Cut lower I think. I know the UK first best as I’ve had it since release, but for now the US has the win - until I settle down to playing side-by-side.

1 Like

I guessed it might be the US but wanted to wait and hear your view.

1 Like

2021 Record Store Day vinyl release… :sunglasses: :+1:t3: :grinning: :notes:

12 Likes

Playing this while I tidy up and down some espresso…UK first, natch.

I really like Larry Young’s playing (organ) on this - makes the album imho, binds the guitar pyrotechnics together.

After the US BOF I wonder how a US press of this would sound…

Still find the back cover photo weird in an endearing kinda way - what a trio!

12 Likes

IMG_0466

2 Likes

Time for a tune…

2 Likes

…about bl00dy time…:rofl:

1 Like

Theme tune. :wink:
IMG_9090

3 Likes

@Clive ‘A Song For All Seasons’ is an enjoyable album, the title track is lovely!

1 Like

I think it needs a few repeat listens. I’ve listened to a few of their albums over the years, always thinking that I ought to have some in my collection, but for some reason I never get any further towards buying them. I was reminded of Annie Haslam a few years back when reading a biography of Sandy Denny. I recall there was some rivalry between them.

1 Like

Time for a bit of Sherwood on the desk.

Starship Africa
Creation Rebel
On-U Sound

Not my favourite dub album, but great players.

7 Likes

2015 vinyl release… :sunglasses: :grinning: :notes: :+1:t3:

14 Likes

Wasnt too sure about the SQ at first but wick the volume and having a blast, invoking some fondly held if a little painfully carthartic memories.
Oh man! I needed that should do it more often :grin:

1 Like

Not sure what’s funny about Acker Bilk.

Now this is a classic imho

Yabby Yu and The Prophets
Beware Dub
Grove

Still remember the tiny little reggae shop I bought this from in 1978/9, at Finsbury Park. Loved the place. Sadly, long gone.

6 Likes

Thats a cracker! You may be interested to know that Creation Rebel have reformed and joined forces again with Adrian Sherwood for a new album, Hostile Environment. Well worth checking out…

4 Likes