What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Midland Roots Explosion Vols 1 & 2 (Qobuz/Reggae Archive)

Two superb and interesting comp’s from Reggae Archive highlighting the Reggae scene in and around Birmingham. Early cuts from bigger names to be like Steel Pulse, Benjamin Zephaniah, Capital Letters, Musical Youth (remember Pass The Dutchie on the pop charts?) more from the Black Symbol posted earlier and a wealth of lesser known but not lesser talent.

:heart:

5 Likes

K.U.K.L. (feat. Björk)
The Eye
Crass Records

Fold out poster sleeve and all for three quid.
Good band :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Shuggie Otis - Freedom Flight

8 Likes

Yard Act - The Overload

My nephew has been nagging me to try this album out so finally giving it a go. A couple of tracks in, one of my first thoughts was it sounds a bit like The Fall, which is no bad thing. Time will tell as I progress through the rest of it.

7 Likes

Oh dear! Such sad family wrangling and bitterness from the family of one of the legendary labels in 20th Century popular music worldwide, not just Jamaica…

Echo & The Bunnymen - Porcupine

9 Likes

Dan Penn - Living On Mercy

9 Likes

Malia & Boris Blank - Convergence. Just been listening to this at a cable demo, on a full 300 system with Wilson Sabrina X speakers. Might let the memory fade a little before firing up the Nova.

12 Likes

Fleet Foxes. Self titled. Cd rip of 2 cd edition.
Not played in ages.

19 Likes

Me neither, I have that and another FF album on the black stuff, ta for the reminder. I sense winter coming and I find this stuff good for the season.

3 Likes

“Pass the Dutchie”, as I recall - nice young people singing about the joys of sharing food.:wink:

1 Like

David Bowie - Changes Now Bowie

22 Likes

Now playing…

Bonny Light Horseman - Rolling Golden Holy

Anaïs Mitchell (Clapping, Dulcimer, Acoustic Guitar, Vocals), JT Bates (Drums, Percussion), Eric D. Johnson (Banjo, Clapping, Dulcimer, 12 String Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Harmonica, Percussion, Piano, Shaker, Tambourine, Vocals), Josh Kaufman (Banjo, Bass, Clapping, Drum Machine, Drums, Dulcimer, 12 String Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Nylon String Guitar, Hammond B3, Hi String Guitar, Mandolin, Organ, Pedal Piano, Percussion, Piano, Synthesizer, Vocals, Wurlitzer) and Mike Lewis (Bass, Tenor Saxophone).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… kicking off this morning with Anaïs along with a group of very talented musicians and they are sounding sublime! Released a year ago and it is one fine album…

12 Likes

Its actually a pop reggae cover of The Mighty Diamonds Pass The Kutchie (Koutchie). A Kutchie being a chalice used to consume Jamaican Old Holborn. It was thought a bit inappropriate for such young kids to be singing about such things so substituted the word for “Dutchie” after a Jamaican Dutch Pot used for cooking.

I saw Musical Youth at Sunsplash and despite the novelty pop imagery of Pass The Dutchie, they rocked the place and were unfairly hustled off stage prematurely. I think it might have been a case of the adults not liking being upstaged by the likkle pickney bwoy dem :grin:

:heart:

5 Likes

Mosaic CD.

6 Likes

David Bowie - A Divine Symmetry

24 Likes

Playing on Vinyl

15 Likes

Posted this recently, but this is the Mr Bongo Abbey Road remaster on CD, which arrived today. Stunning on the nearfield system.

11 Likes

Now you got the gramophone back in action, I can highly recommend the MrBongo LP re issue after the next time youve imbibed some wine :wink:

2 Likes

Alexandre Desplat - Isle of Dogs (Original Soundtrack)

Very different but I actually quite liked it. Certainly different from the average film soundtrack!

2 Likes