What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Fresh crisp musical biscuit just landed at Dread mansions…

Larry & Alvin - Poor Man A Feel It (Jamaican Art)

Back in the late eighties up until about 2000 there was a superb Dutch Jamaican Music re issue label Jamaican Gold, they have an impressive catalogue.
Sadly the label went bust but has recently reactivated as a vinyl only label under the name Jamaican Art Records.
A few titles have appeared so far including this lovely quality Roots Reggae recording from 1978 with Larry (Marshall) & Alvin (Leslie) at Channel One and Harry J studios, backed by The Revolutionaries.
Its a previously unreleased gem, transferred from the original master tape at producer Alvin Ranglin’s GG Studio in Kingston.
Nice gatefold sleeve with detailed sleeve notes and good pressing

Music for your heart n soul

:heart:

4 Likes

Steve Hillage - Rainbow Dome Musick - 1979
2007 remastered CD

50 years ago this month that young Master Hillage played guitar (slightly distorted?) on the live Tubular Bells at the BBC session. Must give that another watch soon.

10 Likes

Paul McCartney. Wings at the speed of sound. Cd rip.
Yes @bhoyo that’s me knocking at your door.

What I can’t understand is how can I have an earworm for a song that appears on an album I’ve not played in ages

17 Likes

Lester Bullocks, yes seriously! aka Dillinger!

Dillinger CB200 (Island)

Perhaps arguably not the best Dillinger collection, but probably the one most recognisable including his anthem to a certain Honda motorcycle, Bruce Lee who will grab n flee n kick you like a chimpanzee, and of course Cocaine In My Brain.

Anyone seen Jim?

3 Likes

Paul McCartney - Red Rose Speedway - CD Archive Collection

18 Likes

Now Playing…

Nils Petter Molvaer with the Norwegian Radio Orchestra - Certainty of Tides

Streaming on Qobuz (48/24)… taking out Nils latest release, October 5th 2023, for another spin and he and the orchestra are sounding sublime! One beautiful album to ease into the day with…

7 Likes

After I realised that someone ‘stole’ my original cd (meaning I’ve lost it :rofl:) thought I’d buy the anniversary vinyl. Very nice it is too.

Jose Gonzalez ‘Veneer’

7 Likes

Soft Machine - Third - 1970

Never really sure about this one? Got something else lined up if it all goes Pete Tong …

12 Likes

Mikey Dread - S.W.A.L.K (Dread At The Controls 1982)

I just so love Mikey Dread, the inspiration for my username and avatar. From great radio shows and albums like African Anthem, Dread At The Controls, World War III and countless singles and productions with other artists (including of course The Clash) on his DATC label all of them quality.
1982 and Lovers Rock was mostly outselling Jamaican music in the UK and many artists from Jamaica came to record in the style, including this superb offering from Mikey in his own unique idiosyncratic vocal and dub style

Sadly he passed whilst still only in his early fifties from brain cancer if memory serves.

6 Likes

Playing on vinyl

9 Likes

And now you’ve earwormed me!

1 Like

A rather nice relaxing listen from Mr Parsons and his combo.

download

13 Likes

I get pleasure where I can😂

1 Like

Getting dark so time for a spooky Halloween selection

5 Likes

It’s always good when a popular artist introduces someone to a larger audience.
I would never have discovered The Clash if it wasn’t for Mikey :joy:

3 Likes

6 Likes

Fine relaxing jazz

5 Likes

Very apt tonight Dread for Halloween :+1: will give my copy a spin later
Wishing you a chilled evening

1 Like

Playing on vinyl superb singing from The Staple Singers @ Fabulous recording quality

6 Likes

Apart from the wonderful atmospheric music, this is a particularly great ‘extended play’, and the beautiful art work an added bonus with Burial is a complete inability to tell whether you have a good or poor pressing. I feel my pressing is excellent but who knows? Prompted to play this by my daughter who text me to say Untrue is a superb album and it never dates. I think she’s right

3 Likes