What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

As previously mentioned by @anon70766008 on the “What was the last Vinyl you bought…” thread, next up ELP - Pictures at an Exhibition.
Staying with Vinyl for this amazing recording❤️

18 Likes

I had to leave a Robin Trower concert in around ‘74, ‘75 because it was painfully ear bleedingly loud. Far beyond normal rock band levels.

1 Like

Hi @Zupfgeiger

No problem at all, your post reminded me I have it, and it’s great, so I gave it a spin myself. :+1:

3 Likes

Red Gold Green & Blue (Trojan 2LP)

The naff sleeve reminds me of those budget Hallmark/MFP/Pickwick records from Woolworths back in those days.

Zak Starkey, son of a drummer in a little known Liverpool beat combo, apparently went down to Jamaica looking to make an album with Toots. He stayed and decided to build a studio, as you do. He came up with the blindingly original name Trojan Studio and Trojan Jamaica label.

The first fruit of which was this fun and entertaining but nothing grounbreaking fusion of reggie n blues, assisted by Youth (Killing Joke) on production duty. For example Mykal Rose (Black Uhuru) doing Sreamin’ Jay Hawkins I Put A Spell On You, Ssh & Robbie Shakespeare Wang Dang Doodle, Big Youth doing Bo Diddley on Gunslinger and so on.
A bit hit n miss but mostly hit imo and good fun.

Toots & The Maytals - Got To Be Tough (Trojan Jamaica LP)

A superb swansong from Toots who sadly passed shortly after this was released.

U Roy - Solid Gold (Trojan Jamaica)

An all star guest affair with U Roy revisiting some of his classic tunes, despite the hype very hit n miss and mostly miss imo.

This followed the Toots album and ended up being a posthumous release following U Roy’s passing.

Call me superstitious but I think thats a tad uncanny and afaik nothing more has come from Zak’s Trojan Jamaica Studio.

:heart:

4 Likes

1987 vinyl release… :grinning: :notes: :sunglasses: :+1:t3:

27 Likes

Playing on Vinyl

10 Likes

Ok, time for some Rush and another US 1st Press.
This one was absolutely silly money, but you can’t put a limit on a complete collection…:man_shrugging:t2:

Snakes & Arrows the last time I got to see them live.

11 Likes

Who?

1 Like

Finally caught up with Summer of Soul last nite -cracking documentary - so having watched Little Stevie Wonder sing and play keys and drums it’s got to be FFF on Motown vinyl.

To be followed by Max Roach and the gorgeous Abbey Lincoln on the civil rights work Freedom Now Suite

Max_Roach-We_Insist!Max_Roach's_Freedom_Now_Suite(album_cover)

Then twill be Sly and the Family Stone - it was sad to see him and band on top form before he pissed it up his nose - for me their best Stand! also from 1969.

19 Likes

2011 Music On Vinyl release… :sunglasses: :+1:t3: :grinning: :notes:

15 Likes

Royal Blood - Royal Blood - CD

6 Likes

The Incredible Jimmy Smith - Back At The Chicken Shack.

23 Likes

I saw Robin Trower at Leicester University in about 79. Not a huge hall. Painfully loud. The audience were shouting between songs to turn it down. Of course they didn’t.

2 Likes

Still sitting on my pay to view watchlist, must get a new round tooit

Essential Dread - pretty sure we recorded it off of Ch4 so it should be on their Catch-up service. Beware tho the advert break timings were awful - e.g 30 secs of Hugh Masekela or Nina Simone then adverts then back to the set was typical. So paid may well be the best way to enjoy it.

1 Like

I wonder what his hearing is like!

1 Like

Nearly snap! Same session, I believe.

15 Likes

21 Likes

Pay to view is still less than the price of a pint of Armitage Shanks and I wont get interrupted with adds for a toxic McSh*t burger :+1:

2 Likes

I used to enjoy a Joe Walsh album that had a ballroom mirror ball on the sleeve iirc, any idea?

2 Likes