What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Update: listening to disc 1 of the Red album has thrown me slightly. The mixes are, er, interesting, to say the least.

Exhibit A: A Hard Day’s Night now has added or should I more accurately say, more revealed bongos running throughout it. Most strange to hear this anew.

I’ll be interested in what others make of these Giles’ MAL-aided choices.

15 Likes

Avishai Cohen - Almah
Streaming/Qobuz

6 Likes

Prompted by Debs selection earlier

Stanley Clarke - If This Bass Could Only Talk (CBS LP 1988)

Not played this in ages and sounding good

:heart:

11 Likes

What is MAL?

Now playing…

Pat Metheny - Dream Box

Pat Metheny (Baritone Guitar), Electric Guitar).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on this morning with June 2023 release from Pat and he is sounding sublime! Going to see Pat this Saturday night and looking forward to the show… Life is Sweet!

14 Likes

Melody Gardot, sunset in the blue. :smiling_face:

12 Likes

IMG_0788
@AndyP, new Bathers album via the camp

5 Likes

Yes I saw that and marked it up with a truckload of stuff to purchase on my return to the UK.

Nice to see there are a few Bathers related albums on Bandcamp.

2 Likes

I’m enjoying this far too much … from 1980

Adam&theAntsKingsoftheWildFrontier

16 Likes

Can’t believe what a difference the new klangmodul and fuse makes :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Nirvana | Nevermind | 1991
It’s one of those that you just have to get out every now and then.

19 Likes

It’s machine audio learning, from what I’ve read recently. Peter Jackson and team used it to great effect on the Get Back doc.

Here, on the songs themselves, it’s giving us a new stereo mix distinct from the other existing ones: the 60s, the almost forgotten George Martin 80s, the ones used on the Love album and the 2009 ones!

I suppose if you’ve got a new machine, it’s going to be used.

There was an awful 3CD revamp of a Beach Boys Greatest Hits package which whilst not using MAL, did ruin the songs by making them sound like they’d been mastered for a Miles Cyrus album. Bright and gleaming but not easy on the ear.

So I’m hoping these new takes on The Beatles don’t give me a similar auditory nausea.

Forgoing a comment on the song itself or the tech used, I find Now & Then a hard listen when played at a moderate to high volume. Too much limiting or whatever the MAL equivalent is called.

I’m not sure if this was a trade off for exhuming John’s voice from the tape and making it so clear and focused. If so, I think I’d rather have had the audio quality akin to that of the contemporaneous Real Love as found on the Lennon Anthology box.

5 Likes

Rory Gallagher - Live! In Europe.

19 Likes

Eagles, hell freezes over. :smiling_face:

22 Likes

A Perfect Circle | Thirteenth Step | 2003
One of Maynard James Keenan’s projects away from Tool and it is a very fine project. I had / have this album as a live version it’s excellent and even more involving than this studio original. I’ll carry on looking for it?..

9 Likes

Thanks for the detailed reply. I watched the short doc on iplayer about the new single, but I cant find myself getting excited over it or the red/blue re issues. It all smacks a bit to much of technological tinkering with a faux manufactured “youve never heard it this good” whilst sounding awful and milking a cash cow and the fans in my cynical view.
I see from your pic £70 for the vinyl, really?
:heart:

2 Likes

Warming up the new CD transport (sounding good already!) and enjoying some of my CDs (which was the point of buying it). This band are pure class…

10 Likes

Charles, here is the info regarding the new mixes on the 2023 red and blue albums.

All tracks on the red album are brand new stereo mixes dated 2023, except the tracks that were released last year on the Revolver album remix.

The blue album only features six brand new 2023 remixes ( Walrus, Fool On The Hill, MM Tour, Revolution, Hey Bulldog and Old Brown Shoe ), the rest of the tracks are taken from either the 1 album remix or the remixed Pepper, white album, Abbey Road and Let It Be sets.

4 Likes

Yes, I can certainly see (and hear) it that way too.
That said, I’ve bought the CDs and albums albeit at a generous staff discount rate, but yes £70 for a triple is daft and quite excessive.

1 Like

Thanks Alan, that’s great. I’d read and forgotten the exact details during the pre-release hype/press bumf.

Thanks for this.

1 Like