What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

‘Revolver’ - The Beatles

2022 box set / Giles Martin remaster.

Back home after a week in Spain/France on business. Completed the new biog on George Harrison by Philip Norman while on the road - had an urge to join in with the Fab Fest this evening. Tempted by the reviews of the Red and Blues on the thread tonight.

29 Likes

Led Zeppelin, III. :smiling_face:

28 Likes

What a fantastic follow up album…

14 Likes

The Beatles. Beatles for sale.
The Red and Blue release has certainly had everyone digging out their favourite original albums. This is mine.

26 Likes

The Cranberries. She sang like she meant it.

No Need to Argue is the second studio album by Irish alternative rock band the Cranberries, released on 3 October 1994 through Island Records. It is the band’s best-selling album, and has sold 17 million copies worldwide as of 2014.” Wiki.

22 Likes

2 x LP - Swan Song [France] 1975 : )

Robert Plant – vocals, harmonica
Jimmy Page – electric, acoustic, lap steel and slide guitars, production
John Paul Jones – bass guitar, mandolin, acoustic guitar, keyboards, Mellotron
John Bonham – drums, percussion

Additional musicians

Ian Stewart – piano on “Boogie with Stu”
Uncredited session musicians – strings and horns on “Kashmir”

Recordings from 1970 to 1974. Album Released on 24th February 1975

37 Likes

Everyone else seems to be ahead of me in getting their hands on The Beatles Red and Blue compilation LPs, even though I ordered my sets some time ago.

Lenny White Edge / 1998 Hip Bop / US CD / HIBD8019

Lenny White Drums
Patrice Rushen Piano, Synth
Victor Bailey, Foley Bass
Nick Moroch Guitar
Bennie Maupin, Danny Walsh Saxophone

Track 4 on this recording is a rather cool cover of Kashmir.

4 Likes

Tom Petty - Damn The Torpedoes - CD

25 Likes

After enjoying some Gary Moore yesterday, it’s time for some more

51A+fQJtphL.AC
Gary Moore - After Hours, this is a remaster, replete with bonus tracks.

15 Likes

Jeff Lynne’s ELO - Alone In the Universe.
Can’t imagine why anyone would be interested in this, it’s mostly meh! But for 50p I’m not complaining. The first two tracks were promising…

14 Likes

‘When I Was a Boy’ is a decent track.

1 Like

‘Trans Europa Express’ - Kraftwerk

Wunderbar!

24 Likes

Yep, and the next one but then… :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Not heard this in a while, nice to hear the voice of Cass, not heard that much these days.

9 Likes

Terrific recording as ever from Yello. Latin rhythms ensure this one’s a foot tapper.

14 Likes

John and Beverley Martyn - Stormbringer.
Quite a backstory to this and their other album The Road To Ruin, but despite it all they are both excellent albums and very worthy additions to any folk collection.

10 Likes

Enjoying…

this well recorded live album from Mr Masekela. Vibrant collection of tunes culminating in a ‘jaw dropping’ (imho) final track: ‘Stimela (The Coal Train)’ which compels with its spellbinding lyrics, animated delivery and musical performance.

Sublime…

Qobuz 16/44.1
ERA-1s

17 Likes

Hi Dread,

And this is the exact reason why the new versions, particularly the 62-66 reboot, where the songs were previously mostly best heard in mono, exist and are indeed worth listening to. Now, good old MAL has spliced and diced them all and made them sound like true stereo mixes (though, they aren’t of course, in that they have been retro-fitted to appear as such). Hard panned stereo is henceforward banished from Beatlestown.

But taking off my purist hat, one that I seem to wear occasionally and at other times throw onto the compost heap of pomposity, I think there’s much fun and some wonder to be had with the new mixes.

Then again, tomorrow I’ll probably dig out my hat and only play my lovely mono originals and decry Giles and Peter’s effrontery.

Or maybe, more likely, just revel in all the iterations of this incredible music.

5 Likes

Steven Wilson, the harmony codex. :smiling_face:

13 Likes