What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Stimela is jaw droppingly great on every level. Demonstration quality recording and words which make you stop and think. Masekela was very special I think.

4 Likes

Having recently watched the movie I’m back in 1969 listening to the soundtrack featuring Steppenwolf, the Byrds, Hendrix and others. It’s a long time since I last saw the film but it features some wonderful cinematography of the American Southwest.

IMG_1496

11 Likes

Enjoying…

this impressive collaboration of musical talents.

Sublime
Qobuz 16/44.1
ERA-1s

22 Likes

Bedtime Tunes
Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex

14 Likes

Sade - Love Deluxe, plenty of deep bass on this album and a more ambient sound from the band.

28 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, Charles. :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Michael Kiwanuka: Love & Hate

21 Likes

This has been the only CD I’ve played today - with a few intervals for other activities - & I’ve homed in on many of the mixes now.

The Rubber Soul songs presumably give a strong sense of the sound Giles and Sam will go for when that album’s deluxe box comes out.

Here on Red 62-66 (2023) it’s fascinating to hear what choices were made on a song like Norwegian Wood. My go to pressing is one of the Hazel Yarwood mono cuts, it’s so balanced and easy to listen to. The 60s stereo is a seeming afterthought, but zoom forward to 2023 and everything is pleasingly and convincingly spread out - sitar left, acoustic guitars right and John in the middle.

All good, if somewhat initially disorientating, and an example of how difficult it must have been to achieve a true balance between the instruments and voice, and at the same time create a plausible stereo picture.

18 Likes

Enjoying the Malian music this evening…

Liked ‘Malahani’ but the ‘life-like’ recording quality of the relatively simple ‘Sambadio (Acoustic)’ was on another level. If it continues like this, it should be one to add to my favourites.

Sublime…

Qobuz 24/44.1
ERA-1s

15 Likes

Chris Stapleton Higher

10 Likes

Enjoying…

Bringing things up-to-date with this sweet-sounding album. Albarn’s synths add a modern (read: artificial) edge to some of the tracks, which is interesting but provides for a ‘muddy ponderous bass line’ at times, that seems to close up the sense of open space noticed in some other tracks. Nevertheless a refreshing and tuneful album with some nicely mixed (if grainy at times) female vocals. Bold, creative and entertaining album from Fatoumata.

Sublime

Qobuz 24/44.1
ERA-1s

3 Likes

A Saturday morning favourite Kacey Musgraves Golden Hour

13 Likes

Old but amazingly well preserved vinyl. Has lasted better than me, to be honest.

13 Likes

Paul Kelly Greatest Hits

3 Likes

16 Likes

Cold Chisel East, Classic Australian pub rock. Great album imo of course :grin:

4 Likes

Laurie Anderson Bright Red

8 Likes

Chris Rea - The Road To Hell - CD

Chris Rea started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘The Road To Hell.’ 11th Nov 1989

22 Likes

A brand new 2LP set, Max Richter - ‘Exiles’. Very quiet, almost hypnotic - but there are 3 1/2 LP sides to go, so it may change.

But very beautiful so far, I might slip into a trance!

5 Likes

Fourplay Heartfelt / 2002 BMG / US CD / 09026639162

Bob James Keyboards
Larry Carlton Guitar
Nathan East Bass
Harvey Mason Drums

Starting Saturday with this quality recording, which is sounding spectacular via the NAC 332.

9 Likes